Old games for an old machine

All things related to games and gaming

Old games for an old machine

Postby Aspman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:28 pm

Got dragged shopping by SWMBO on Sunday. She hit the clothes shops I wandered about aimlessly.

Temporarily revived by a sausage roll from Greggs (manna from heaven those things) I ended up in Game.

3 for £10 I'll have some of that. No point in looking at newer stuff I'm still running an FX5200 and it can barely cope with minesweeper.

So I got - GTA3, Pirates!, Battle of Britain.

Battle of Britain is a bit of a loss. The FX5200 is a surrender monkey and can't really cope very well. It's playable but not very good with the frame rate at about 5fps.

GTA3 not got into this yet, lots of good words about it but just played for 30min or so.

Pirates! I had Pirates! for the Amiga and it was great. this is just the same, I'm quite hooked already. Runs fine on the crusty desktop (happy FX5200 doesn't sweat much on this) and even runs fine on the lappy with its X1250 ATI chip.
BUT the game is set up to use the NUM pad. A bit lacking on the laptop and hitting Fn + ? isn't all that easy. Can't see a way to remap yet.

Not a bad buy for a tenner. They had GTA 4 and a few other tasty morsels at 2 for £15 but the machine would have cried and probably burst into flames.

Any recommendations for a better AGP card I might pick up on fleabay much cheapness?
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Re: Old games for an old machine

Postby cgkanchi » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:35 pm

Is this a desktop or a laptop you're talking about? I thought it was a desktop, but got a bit confused when you talked about having a laptop keyboard... For laptops you're pretty much SOL, because most graphics cards tend to be onboard. For a desktop, I'd look at the 7800 GS. Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BFG-Technologies- ... 240%3A1318

Cheers,
cgkanchi
Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com
cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Postby Elsparrow » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:51 pm

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... subcat=403

That do for ya? About the best AGP card you'll manage to get.

And yea I realise it's not ebay, but at least the bugger has 2yr warranty. . .
Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Postby Harry » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:58 pm

I had the same problem with the number pad that you are hving; I got one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Labtec-USB-Numb ... 255&sr=8-3 and the problem went away :)
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/
Harry
Site Admin

Postby Aspman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:00 pm

Cheers Els but I think CG's £20 card looks more to my budget for now. I don't game much and I need to revamp the machine totally sometime soon anyway. It's done 6 years pretty faultlessly.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Aspman » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Sid Meier's Pirates is frinkin awesome BTW.
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Vorlin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:14 am

I played Pirates into the ground, rofl! I love(d) that game! My mom used to laugh at me all the time because I'd be yelling at the monitor..."BLACKBEARD YOU ARE GOING DOWN!!!! BRING ON YOUR PANSY SHIP! I'VE GOT 28 CANNONS!". It was great taking out cities with your crew too, yeah baby! Finding treasure, lost family members, etc. Great game.
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby Timaxe » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:14 am

I have a Radeon 9800 lying around...probably the only AGP card I have on hand that is better than the Nvidia FX5200 (at least I think it should be better - the Nvidia FX line was low end and the ATI 9800 was a relatively high-end card at the time). I'd be fine with letting it go if we can figure out shipping (don't know shit about overseas shipping)...I have a couple other (older) AGP cards lying around that I need to eventually get rid of too, but they're not beating your FX5200 anytime soon...

Edit: I need to update my sig sometime...
Timaxe
Hmmm, should I post some more ?

Postby Aspman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:16 am

Thanks for the thought Tim but shipping would be silly money. I think fleabay will be the best bet.

Not too much of a rush now, I'm too hooked on Pirates for the moment and I think that would run on my phone.
Plus I finally got my Babylon 5 boxed set through. That's going to take some time.
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Return to Games and Arcade Room