Starcraft II

All things related to games and gaming

Starcraft II

Postby Harbinger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:56 am

Has anyone played this yet? It went into closed beta about a month ago. I have a key and have played it a moderate amount, but the experience changes radically with every patch that alters unit balances. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I like it thus far, but it isn't what the original was. That might be nostalgia speaking. The unit mixes are largely the same as the original, but with many critical differences. The problem with this is how the original was so perfectly balanced, the changes they've made to make it a different game only seem to disrupt this instead of refine and expand. The strategy has significantly changed for many ways in the better (particularly with the use of terrain), and matches are much more decisive.

It still feels less compelling than the original. Perhaps it's because the single player campaign isn't released. I know the engaging story had a great deal to do with the originals success. Then again, I also have a bit more than 9 years of age to count, so perhaps I'm just less awestruck by a video game.

Anyone else have any experience/thoughts with Starcraft II?
"I am never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken."
Harbinger
Aspiring Anti-Christ

Re: Starcraft II

Postby Lighty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:36 am

Not yet. I want to try it out but my laptop is parental controlled, this sucks!
Lighty
Wannabee

Postby SirDice » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:02 am

Talk to your parents.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Vorlin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:29 pm

I love the game! I know this is coming in late but yeah, I was at Gamestop at midnight on release night :D, grabbed my copy and have played it a lot through wine on my linux box (since winblows is not allowed on my machine anymore, haha)... And you're right, lots of changes per patch so it's kinda relearning each time. Still fun anyways!
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby cgkanchi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:20 pm

If Blizzard hadn't been greedy and decided to charge £45 for the game (it's just about a year old and still sells for £32!!!), I'd have bought it at launch. As it is, I *may* buy it when the prices go down to £20 or so. TBH though, Activision/Blizzard pissed me off with this game, since it's basically impossible to buy a second-hand copy...

Cheers,
cgkanchi
Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com
cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Return to Games and Arcade Room