Ooooh ooh nuclear war

All things related to games and gaming
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Ooooh ooh nuclear war

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:40 pm

http://www.everybody-dies.com/
Inspired by the 1983 cult classic film, Wargames, DEFCON superbly evokes the tension, paranoia and suspicion of the Cold War era, playing on the fascinating aspects of psychological gameplay that occur during strategic nuclear warfare.

You play a General hidden deep within an underground bunker. Your mission is to successfully exterminate your enemy's civilian population whilst saving your own. Points are awarded or lost depending on both the efficacy and thoroughness of your nuclear vendetta and the number of your own civilian deaths. In order to win you must wipe out the enemy population and simultaneously disable the enemy's ability to retaliate against you. This is an extremely difficult task since launching an attack on the enemy exposes the positions of your own Ground Silos, Subs and Bombers the moment they launch nuclear weapons, making you extremely vulnerable and exposed to a crushing counter-attack.

Desperate attempts must be made to form fast, tactical alliances, alliances that may at any moment break-down to become the treacherous and most deadly of betrayals. Everyone looks to each other in a state of nervous suspense and paranoid accusation. In all-out nuclear Armageddon, everybody dies, everybody loses, you just have to make sure you lose the least!
My kinda gamer.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

DaFoxx
DaBOSS
Are you a Spammer: No

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:51 am

ordered it last night
D/L through Steam 29 September

but I'm on holiday then :shock:

my kinda game too
EVERYONE dies

how 8) is that
my game plan is to hit the launch button PDQ
and let em RIP :mad:
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:44 am

I'll be ordering this weekend. £10 to destroy the world sounds like a bargain to me

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:06 pm

didn't read too much
so don't know the multi player / single player options

but multi player
where you stab your allies in the back 8)

at last
a REAL life game :mrgreen:

Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:11 pm

*rolls up his sleeves* Come on you guys, let's all get in there and backstab each other! I'm taking out nokia, J_K9, HTRegz, and catch when he's not looking!

EDIT ADD: SHIT, This is an Introversion game?! HELL FUCKING YEAH! I've played ALL of them. Uplink, Darwinia, etc...these guys make quality games that are addicting as hell. Beat Uplink, and still working on Darwinia (you really start to love those little green guys). I bought the Darwinia poster and it's hanging right in front of my pc on the wall. I love this gaming company so I'm ordering the game right now.
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:20 pm

Hmm I've got the Dawinia demo through Steam but I've never played it. I might make more of an effort.

Edit> Games like this must scare the shit out of Nvidia and ATI. No 3D, no fancy water effects etc etc.

Vorlin

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:35 pm

I first got into Introversion when the downloadable $15 Uplink came out. This was before it was ever sold in the US and wasn't named "Uplink: Hacker Elite". They had their growing pains with the front-end but I guarantee you they got the world map in DEFCON from the "internet map" of Uplink. It was such an addicting game and once they had a few patches out, it was amazing. I wasted WEEKS of my life, haha! Then they made the developer cd available for purchase so people could make their own missions, etc.

Now, they're probably much better off and aren't going to release source again, but Darwinia was a huge success and now DEFCON is coming out? This is one of those companies that was started in a garage (not really, but you get the idea) and was able to hang on long enough with a great starting game and now they're a good contender amidst the big gaming giants. It's like Trillian, started by TWO guys. I laughed my ass off when AOL tried blocking Trillian users from logging into their servers and those two guys just kept getting in! HUGE MEGA COMPANY vs two guys....two guys win! AOL finally gave up.

YET ANOTHER EDIT ADD: haha you can tell I can barely hold in my excitement. Here's another few things I love about this company.

1: when they say "it'll be released on this day at this time", you could set your server time to it. They've never missed a release date.

2: on the forums, you can call them by their real names and they're personally involved all over the forums.

3: they have ALL OS' covered. MAC, Windows, and Linux. Takes a bit longer for the MAC version but they probably have improved on that; after all, they're just two guys.

DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:42 pm

So, you like em then :mrgreen:

Vorlin

Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:05 pm

That would be such an understatement, foxx, haha! :mrgreen: .... already, six people at work have ordered it and we're seeing if we can have a "team-building friday" with this in mind!

DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:14 pm

my brother worked in a place where 'team building' included CS on the work LAN, and the boss getting stuck in too

always thought that THAT was THE way to spend a Friday afternoon :D

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:30 pm

Nuclear war Clan!!!

I'd be better at that than CS:S. I used to play 'Nuclear War' on the Amiga. Remeber that with the Spitting Image puppets for world leaders.

Ronny Raygun etc.

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Oooh... I played Uplink (cracked) about four or five years ago (I honestly can't remember - just AGES ago) and I loved it!

I'm definitely buying Uplink and pre-ordering DEFCON this weekend - I just have to! :D
DaFoxx wrote:my brother worked in a place where 'team building' included CS on the work LAN, and the boss getting stuck in too
NICE! Where? :D

And I'm voting for a 'TAZ friendship building' night this weekend - Saturday night! Any objections? If so, slap me (or, rather, DON'T) :D
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]

llama love
UtterTazNutter

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:22 pm

Lol Vorlin, it doesnt quite sounds like a "team building" excercise.

Vorlin

Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:12 pm

Haha, yeah llama, it's drawn some attention my way when I talk about video games...I've been such a diehard pc gamer for the past ten years, it's one of those things I just talk about all the time and I somehow find every pc gamer wherever I work. Woohaa!

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:24 pm

Vorlin wrote:I somehow find every pc gamer wherever I work. Woohaa!
Every PC gamer, no matter where you work? That's quite a feat! :D

Hey, Vorlin, are you up for a few rounds of CS:S this Sunday? Say, 3pm British Summer Time? (And anyone else who wants to play, of course!) :D
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]