Why aren't games built using OpenGL's APIs?

All things related to games and gaming

Postby catch » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Some OpenGL issues are still present. Like the fact that if you use some part of it that isn't hardware supported, the entire subsystem is downgraded. (gee that won't spike customer support issues now will it?)

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess
catch
Wankers Cramp - no - its from typing - HONEST

Postby J_K9 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:21 pm

Hmm... Then why don't they just change the way it operates, or code an alternative method (ie. allow the app to manage hardware resources itself) so that the developer can choose which to use? Yes, it would take quite a bit of effort, but if it were to give it an advantage (or put it on a par with D3D), then I don't see what is stopping them..

I may spend some time on the OpenGL mailing list ;) I'll be back with more soon.
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]
J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Postby Vorlin » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:33 pm

catch,

While there are still some OpenGL issues present, there are also issues present with DX9.0c, some including hard crashes, freezes, and overall system hangs. BF2142 demo shows that. My main question would be, why is DX accepted more than OGL? I'm sure if OGL had the funding DX did, it'd be much more improved than it is now. Money solves pretty much everything.
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby ac » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:47 pm

I don't mean to be pedantic, but you can't compare DirectX to OpenGL since DirectX isn't just a graphics library. That aside, there are companies that do port their games to *nix based os's and do use OpenGL. Take, for example, id software. AFAIK, all their games (or at least the recent ones) have been ported to linux. Doom 3 definitely uses OpenGL as apposed to Direct3D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3#Linux

ac
ac
Probie

Previous

Return to Games and Arcade Room