Vista Casts A Pall On PC Gaming

All things related to games and gaming

Vista Casts A Pall On PC Gaming

Postby Panama Red » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:58 pm

Hoooboy...this could have some pissed off people or a lot of gamers will not buy into Vista...

Disclaimer: I have no sympathy for WildTangent as I have had to clean them off of a few PC's, their methods may have changed since, but I am leery of them.

Will new features in Windows Vista have a chilling effect on indie PC game development? In this exclusive Gamasutra opinion piece, WildTangent founder and CEO Alex St. John highlights obstructive security controls embedded in Vista that threaten to do just that.

"I run a business called WildTangent, publishing online games from all the top casual game developers including Atari, Nickelodeon, PlayFirst, iWin, Popcap and many others with all the leading PC OEM’s including Dell, HP, Gateway and Toshiba. Collectively, we had to get a catalog of over 300 downloadable games compatible with dozens of Vista PC configurations shipping to 25 million consumers this year.

Our Vista saga began almost two years ago when Microsoft communicated to OEM’s that Vista would be shipping “imminently,” and that Windows XP would no longer be available as an OS option once Vista was released. So while the rest of the Internet and game development community went about their business safe in the knowledge that Vista was far away and many years from achieving sufficient consumer market share to merit special attention, my business was plunged into the heart of Vista migration in order to be ready to ship our game service and hundreds of games with all new Vista PC’s.

We have found many of the security changes planned for Vista alarming and likely to present sweeping challenges for PC gaming, especially for online distributed games. The central change that impacts all downloadable applications in Vista is the introduction of Limited User Accounts. LUA’s can already be found in Windows XP, but nobody uses them because of the onerous restrictions they place on usability. In Vista, LUA’s are mandatory and inescapable. Although Microsoft made some effort to soften the obstructions LUA’s place in the path of installing software in Vista, they still present a tremendous obstacle to downloadable game distribution and game compatibility with Vista in general.

Myself, I think this is a good thing, as users will be unable to download willy nilly games they see on the internet, so me I think these guys are just crying over spilt milk as they will have to conform..

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=12314
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Re: Vista Casts A Pall On PC Gaming

Postby Maverick » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:41 pm

Dalek wrote:Myself, I think this is a good thing, as users will be unable to download willy nilly games they see on the internet, so me I think these guys are just crying over spilt milk as they will have to conform..

Agreed - sounds like these guys are whining because the ease of distribution of their software (junk or not) is no longer available. Similar to the story of the AV vendors and Vista - current AV software wasn't going to work with all of the new security schemes that Vista was shipping with.

To Wild Tangent - oh well... :mrgreen:
- Maverick
Maverick
Top Gun

Postby llama love » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:47 pm

They just need to change the way thier games work. I would love everything to be forced into a limited account so I didnt have to risk running as admin all the time (I know there are alternatives but I find wiping the machine clean if I get pwnt more convient). They just dont want to face the cost of porting current software to work in Vista. The only people this will stop from installing all the junk they 'need' is kids whose parents dont want a pwnt computer. I have only ever heard of Wild Tangent when removing malware from various machines so no sympathy from me either.
llama love
UtterTazNutter

Postby jaymill230 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:29 pm

why couldn't it be more like ubuntu, or some other linu distributions, where you can't log in as root, and can only do certain things for a limited time as the root (i.e. the sudo#/ command.)
jaymill230
UtterTazNutter

Postby cemetric » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:33 pm

jaymill230 wrote:why couldn't it be more like ubuntu, or some other linu distributions, where you can't log in as root, and can only do certain things for a limited time as the root (i.e. the sudo#/ command.)

Read this :

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsVista/lua-2.html

.C.
cemetric
Corporate Spy

Return to Games and Arcade Room