VHS to DVD

All things related to movies and television...if you can watch it on a screen for entertainment purposes...you can discuss it here

VHS to DVD

Postby Egaladeist » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:02 am

Well...couldn't find my old thread/s so...

decided to buy another VHS to DVD recorder ( RCA ) ...came across a cheapo for an amazing $125 + tax...normally something that's priced that low which usually sells for twice that is enough to make me walk past...but...figured it can't be too bad with the RCA name attached.

So...hooked it up and ran a couple tests...works...but with a catch...the DVD plays fine but the audio on the DVD cuts out if you rewind or fast forward it at all...you can correct it by pushing pause then play...

not sure why it does that?
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Aspman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:30 am

My ye olde DVD player does that sometimes and pressing pause sorts it too.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby THE Doctor » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:37 pm

I am puzzled why you don't just buy a USB video capture card.. import all your movies.. burn to dvd.. play in a 29.95 player.. player dies.. use old one as a boomerang (not all return), etc etc..whne Bluray gets cheaper.. you new PC at that time will do bluray.. and the beat goes on..
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Re: VHS to DVD

Postby THE Doctor » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Egaladeist wrote:Well...couldn't find my old thread/s so...

decided to buy another VHS to DVD recorder ( RCA ) ...came across a cheapo for an amazing $125 + tax...normally something that's priced that low which usually sells for twice that is enough to make me walk past...but...figured it can't be too bad with the RCA name attached.

So...hooked it up and ran a couple tests...works...but with a catch...the DVD plays fine but the audio on the DVD cuts out if you rewind or fast forward it at all...you can correct it by pushing pause then play...

not sure why it does that?

This problem can in fact be the Television BUT.. is dependent on the method of connection from the DVD to the TV, age of television..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Postby Egaladeist » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:10 pm

why you don't just buy a USB video capture card

How do you ' capture ' a VHS recording with a USB card?
Egaladeist

Postby THE Doctor » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:12 am

Many (not all) have Video In.. You only need a working 2nd hand VHS player.. AVout to AVin on the USB Capture .. bob's your aunty....

or

How do you ' capture ' a VHS recording with a USB card?

Throw nice and hard.. that begger ain't getting away

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Postby Maverick » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Yup, your VCR would plug to your capture card - you pull the video that way..
- Maverick
Maverick
Top Gun

Postby Egaladeist » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:21 pm

Does it pull the video in a shorter period of time?

If it doesn't it seems like just a couple extra steps in the process...

VHS-DVD

1. copy movie over to DVD ( drawback...you have to play the whole movie...no speed copying like they had/have on the old cassette decks )

VHS-UBS-DVD

1. Transfer movie over to UBS
2. Transfer UBS to Computer
3. Burn to DVD

Or am I missing something???

I figure it's going to take me at least a year to make the transfers...wonder why no one ever invented a ' speed ' option like the cassette decks had/have?
Last edited by Egaladeist on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egaladeist

Postby Maverick » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Not sure if it doesn't in shorter time.. My guess is no..
- Maverick
Maverick
Top Gun

Postby Egaladeist » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:25 pm

Without a speed benefit I really don't see how a USB video capture thingy is better?
Egaladeist

Postby Maverick » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:40 pm

Puts the files on your HD so you can archive them without burning to DVD - IF you have enough storage..
- Maverick
Maverick
Top Gun

Postby Egaladeist » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:50 pm

But...I don't play movies on my computer :D
Egaladeist

Postby Maverick » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:10 pm

Then don't worry about it!
- Maverick
Maverick
Top Gun

Postby Egaladeist » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:16 pm

OK :D

wonder why no one ever invented a ' speed ' option like the cassette decks had/have?

I once had a Sanyo Duel cassette player that you could put in a cassette and press speed-copy and have another one in about 1-2 minutes...doesn't seem that far of a stretch to me to make something similar for VHS transfer to DVD...where you could fast forward the video transfer?

Of course, when I was a kid the old big transistor radios came with a built-in battery charger...you didn't need ' special ' batteries...you don't see that anymore. maybe someone did make a speed transfer for VHS and they suppressed that technology?
Egaladeist

Postby THE Doctor » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:07 pm

Egaladeist wrote:OK :D

wonder why no one ever invented a ' speed ' option like the cassette decks had/have?

I once had a Sanyo Duel cassette player that you could put in a cassette and press speed-copy and have another one in about 1-2 minutes...doesn't seem that far of a stretch to me to make something similar for VHS transfer to DVD...where you could fast forward the video transfer?

Of course, when I was a kid the old big transistor radios came with a built-in battery charger...you didn't need ' special ' batteries...you don't see that anymore. maybe someone did make a speed transfer for VHS and they suppressed that technology?

if the VHS video head was linear that would be probable.. thank god those things are on their last legs..

A couple of us looked at doing a speedup.. managed to get a (then not so) old Sharp vc9300 up to 4 x PB speed.. very heady stuff (puns intended) managed to get all to lock on a test monitor.. .. The recording machine was a Pigs arse... increased the Capstan flywheel from 250g to 1.5KG.. same as the player.. a fly-wheel was attached to the video drum.. but the modifications to the record signal path was more than we expected.. we never got a fully colour locked playback on a standard machine..
Tried the trick a few years later with one of those Super long play panasonics .. worked a fecking treat.. .. after blowing up the drum motor 3 times.. thank god for the graveyard I say..
We attempted to take the speed upto 10x.. kept snapping the heads in the PB and REC machine.. the air bearing was not working effeciently enough at the tape transport speed... never finished the project... could have another crack at it if anyone has a couple of identical VCR's..
OH EG wants to DVD.. how about on to a PC then to DVD.. may be able to do that.. but only at 4x PB... just need some one to extract the 4x frames out of the mess... ;)

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Next

Return to Media Room