Star Trek

All things related to movies and television...if you can watch it on a screen for entertainment purposes...you can discuss it here

Star Trek

Postby rapier57 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:20 pm

I'm no great shakes at movie reviews, but I just have to say that I liked Star Trek. I was invited to a private screening this morning. Breakfast, Star Trek geeks and Klingons, and a great movie.

Well cast and incredible special effects. This is a good film. I plan to buy the Blu-Ray when it comes out. It is what Star Trek movies should have been all along. Action, excitement, bad guys and tough, feisty heroes. The young actor playing Spock is the guy who plays Siler in the TV series Heroes. He has an uncanny resemblance to Nimoy from the old days, so he really looks the part. He's a good actor, to boot.

There are probably plot holes and a few other things wrong with it. But it is like the old original series. TOS had some great episodes, even with the flaws and production issues. Effects and production issues were not a problem here, and the action was non-stop. A few inside jokes were evident, and I probably missed a few others since the screen was so huge and it was hard to take it all in. Can't stop and replay segments. That is why I'll get the Blu-Ray.

Reviews I read that were critical of the film must have been written by cretins who have been hiding under a rock for 30 years.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Re: Star Trek

Postby Egaladeist » Fri May 08, 2009 10:28 pm

haven't seen it, but from what I've read it's supposed to be excellent...even Spock's given it his blessing.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby dinowuff » Mon May 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Problems with the movie:

Jim Kirk joined Star Fleet in San Fransisco not Iowa
Captain Pike was not promoted to Admiral until his "Accident" in which Spock was his First Officer. Original Pilot for TOS.
Good luck - instead of live long and prosper? (That whole scene including the two having the conversation) put me off.

Otherwise, Great movie - I will certainly purchase this one
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many

Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Postby Morganlefay » Mon May 11, 2009 6:32 pm

They cant change "live long and prosper" to "GOOD LUCK"!!

Thats just WRONG!!!! :evil:

Thats not even Vulcan like............thats like..Canadian :roll:

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Postby Dogbert » Mon May 11, 2009 7:16 pm

I think they wanted the old Spock to show the younger Spock that it is okay to be part human, and that it was pointless for him to say Live Long and Prosper, since he obviously will. :D
OUT! OUT! You demons of stupidity!!!!
Dogbert
1st Century Addict

Postby rapier57 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:25 am

C'mon, dino! The whole point of the departures from the original story line is that Nero changed history by arriving on the day of James Tiberius Kirk's birth and killing his father and chasing elder Spock into the past. They practically beat that into the audience's head with a Louisville Slugger. Did no one get that?

So, yeah, Kirk joined Star Fleet in Iowa, and Pike gets the slug in the spinal cord. The Vulcan home planet is destroyed and Spock's mom dies. And, we see a horn-dog young Spock.

Its a new day fans.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Harbinger » Thu May 14, 2009 9:13 pm

I never liked the original crew. I didn't like the characters nor the actors aside from perhaps Jim Mccoy and Spock. These guys did an excellent job though. They sold the character's personas like never before. I was very entertained throughout the whole movie. Excellent action, perfect balance of effects and human play with deft jokes timed perfectly.

Besides some scientific quandries like...the finale, this movie couldn't have been more bulletproof. My greatest ponderance now is, are they going to make more with this "old" crew? If so, where does that place "The Next Generation"?
"I am never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken."
Harbinger
Aspiring Anti-Christ

Return to Media Room