Anvil - The Story of Anvil

All things related to movies and television...if you can watch it on a screen for entertainment purposes...you can discuss it here

Anvil - The Story of Anvil

Postby Aspman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:16 am

Watched this at the weekend. What a great film.

It's a rockumentary about the rock band Anvil. They were big in the early eighties just a year or two before the big speed metal bands like Metallica and Megadeth broke through. They were hyped up as the greatest thing in the music press but for reasons unknown they just faded from view while their peers went on to superstardom.

But unlike lot's of bands Anvil never quit. They kept playing for 30 years.

The film was made by a former teenage fan of Anvil who follows the band around as they have a disastrous European tour playing to empty venues and struggling for payment and the band try to record their 13th album with the producer of their successful first album.

I like metal, maybe not Anvil, but I was into Metallica in my youth before I got into grunge. But you don't need to like metal to like this movie. It's really a buddy movie and you're watching the two main members of the band Lips and Rob struggle along with each other. They're really likeable and you can't help but wish them success.

Do they make it do they not? Well watch the film.

But after the film (which was a success for a small independent film) the band has gone on to be recognised and they are touring big venues again and getting some measure of success, as a cult band at least. and after watching the film you can't help buy wish them well.

They're Canadian metal band, Eg was probably a roadie!
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Re: Anvil - The Story of Anvil

Postby Morganlefay » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Yes I have heard that is a good movie!

Saw Anvil a few times in my youth.

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Postby Egaladeist » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:44 am

They're Canadian metal band, Eg was probably a roadie!

Actually, for a very short time I was in a band called Firebrand back in the early 70's ( as far as I know they never released an album...almost strictly a cover bar band with a few original songs )...I have about as much musical skill as I do computer skills :D

Reminds me of when Jagger said he loves playing the guitar more than he loves singing and he can't play the guitar either.

My brothers were the musicians...the oldest taught electric, Spanish, and Hawaiian guitar at the Ontario Royal Conservatory of Music and was asked to join Copperpenny at about the same time but declined.

I've heard of Anvil but can't say I remember anything they did.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby rapier57 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:45 pm

Anvil was what I slapped hot iron on and hammered away at when I was a farrier.

A good anvil had a beautiful, clear ring to it when your hammer hit the iron as you were shaping shoes.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Aspman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:16 pm

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Return to Media Room