Ridley Scott Alien prequel

All things related to movies and television...if you can watch it on a screen for entertainment purposes...you can discuss it here

Ridley Scott Alien prequel

Postby Aspman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:56 pm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/26/alien_prequel/

Normally I'd scream at the thought of a good film getting the prequel treatment but this time it's the director of the original Alien that is back involved with it.

He's going to do the story of the Space Jockey too.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Re: Ridley Scott Alien prequel

Postby Egaladeist » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:40 pm

I had no idea what this thread was about until I read the link :mrgreen: never heard of Ridley Scott so I never connected him with the Alien series, thought maybe it was just some alien movie...

well I can think of worse movies to do prequels of...one was that stupid short-lived television series about Star Trek before Captain Kirk.

I'm waiting for Underworld 4 and Resident Evil 4 both coming out this year.

I'd like to see someone do a sequel to Deep Rising...but I doubt there ever will be one.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby SirDice » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:37 pm

The 72-year-old director insisted his project will challenge James Cameron's Avatar in terms of 3D spectacle. He said: "Jim's raised the bar and I've got to jump to it. He's not going to get away with it."

It might be interesting but it could also turn out to be complete overkill. We'll have to wait and see.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Panama Red » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:33 pm

SirDice wrote:
The 72-year-old director insisted his project will challenge James Cameron's Avatar in terms of 3D spectacle. He said: "Jim's raised the bar and I've got to jump to it. He's not going to get away with it."

It might be interesting but it could also turn out to be complete overkill. We'll have to wait and see.

Hopefully the lighting is better this time around, which if you are going to go for the 3d effect it better be....and at least Sigorney won't be in it....:D

Trying to envision what an Alien prequel would be about? A ship picks up strange looking "plants" and all hell breaks loose on the ship and it crashes and voila...the movie Alien...of course it will be interesting to see what race the pilot of that ship was, remember how big the Captain's chair looked like... :shock: (hope they aren't predators... :evil: )
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby DaFoxx » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Panama Red wrote:hope they aren't predators... :evil:

well they were in Aliens v Predators
so it could be that YOU have cracked the secret :P
Ridley could be tracking you down right nOW :P

IMO the Predators are the most viable option to be the aliens 'master' as they do tick all the boxes for a GREAT Sci-Fi Alien, and there is a precedent in the films themselves to help 'keep it real' :cool3:
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby SirDice » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:08 pm

I hope we get lots of 3D, HR Giger inspired, corridors :good:
Oliver's Law:
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Aspman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 am

Would be good if Giger was involved again. You never know he might, it was James Cameron that cut him out not Ridley Scott.

The basics won't change, I think Scott is planning a return to form more like the first.

I've yet to see a 3D movie (other than in Florida) so I don't know how it will work.

Giger is one twisted dude

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby SirDice » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 am

One of those facehuggers jumping up to you would be really scary shit when it's in 3D :swoon:
Oliver's Law:
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Panama Red » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:17 pm

Aspman wrote:Would be good if Giger was involved again. You never know he might, it was James Cameron that cut him out not Ridley Scott.

The basics won't change, I think Scott is planning a return to form more like the first.

I've yet to see a 3D movie (other than in Florida) so I don't know how it will work.

Giger is one twisted dude

Used to subscribe to Heavy Metal and that's where I first saw his art, real nice stuff... :good:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Aspman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:58 am

I've got the boxed set of Alien. In some of the extras Ridley Scott talks about the heavy metal mags being quite a big influence on the style of the film. That and Ron Cobb's technical realism.

Some interesting images here http://eggtea.com/?tag=scifi-art

The original alien before Giger cam on board:

Can you imagine how the film would have bombed with a crappo bug like that?

One that might be relevant for the prequel

Originally there wasn't going to be a derelict spaceship. The alien eggs were going to be found in a temple on the planet. I think they stole the idea for the Alien Vs Predator film. I think it would be a good bet that the prequel will feature this.
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:38 pm

can you imagine how the film would have bombed with a crappo bug like that?

Definitely, the alien looks more stoned than scary :mrgreen:
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Return to Media Room