The RIAA? Amateurs. Here's how you sue 14,000+ P2P users

All things related to movies and television...if you can watch it on a screen for entertainment purposes...you can discuss it here

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:16 pm

So why have P2P lawsuits against individuals spiked dramatically in 2010? It's all thanks to the US Copyright Group, a set of lawyers who have turned P2P prosecution into revenue generation in order to "SAVE CINEMA." The model couldn't be simpler: find an indie filmmaker; convince the production company to let you sue individual "John Does" for no charge; send out subpoenas to reveal each Doe's identity; demand that each person pay $1,500 to $2,500 to make the lawsuit go away; set up a website to accept checks and credit cards; split the revenue with the filmmaker.

they all come from the same law firm: Leesburg, Virginia-based Dunlap, Grubb, & Weaver

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... mpaign=rss
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: The RIAA? Amateurs. Here's how you sue 14,000+ P2P users

Postby rapier57 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:00 am

These groups are cropping up all over the place. Most are just plain extortion scams preying on the stupid.

We got a "Greetings" email from Copyright Enforcement Group, LLC (Santa Clara, CA), back at the end of April. Basically stated that if we got a notice from them, we were to immediately forward the demand for $$ to the user at the IP referenced, or else we would be liable for the fine (very excessive).

I responded with some good educational information about .EDU and safe harbor.

Creeps.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Morganlefay » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:40 pm

This just makes me sick.....our government is trying to pass a law where it makes it illegal to break DRM locks....meaning if the song is in one format and you want to transfer to another ...such as cd to ipod you have to buy it again

Fook that...here is me ...Miss I buy music because I like to support the artist...but if this passes....I am torrenting everything from now on.

Come and get me you stoopid fooks :angry1:

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Postby rapier57 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Hmmmm ....

>>> vision of MLF dug into a foxhole, with helmet, cigar and M60 machine gun waiting for the RIAA and MPAA lawyers to show up and taker her music away.

MLF, you so sexy in combat gear!
Rapier57.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby SirDice » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:17 pm

^ has way too much imagination :shock:

I knew the American justice system was being raped, but I don't recall it ever being this much abused. I mean it's getting ridiculous.
If those fat lard ass bastards that control everything would lighten the feck up and come up with a decent way to get movies and music nobody would bother with P2P anymore.

But noooo.. I have to wait a couple of months before a hollywood movie is available in the cinemas here. And after a movie has done it's duties in the cinema it'll take another couple of months before I can get it on some media to play at home. WTF?
It's not like the cinemas are complaining. The reports here in holland say they've never seen this many people going to the movies. Movies break record proceeds within the first few weeks. Then why the feck do I have to wait almost a year before I can watch it at home?

Here's my idea. Show the movie in the cinema. Release it world-wide at the same time. No regional shite. After it's done at the cinemas put it up online so I can download it. Heck for a service like that I'd be willing to pay maybe $30 a month. For unlimited access to all the movies? High quality, 1080p, DTS etc. Hell, yeah. I'd never "steal" a movie again.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Morganlefay » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:04 pm

Its just stoopid that they again are trying to limit the technology instead of embracing it and moving forward.

They are working with an old business model and and are trying to squeeze every last drop out of it....all itsgonna do is push people to download illegal content. Bunch of morons!

Mr Rapier.......you flatter me. 8)

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Postby SirDice » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Even the movie studios aren't too happy about these mass lawsuits.

In the recent mass lawsuit brought in DC concerning file sharing of a movie, Achte/Neunte v. Does 1-2094, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and other organizations have filed papers supporting Time Warner's motion to quash subpoena. EFF's brief further argues that in any further lawsuits, the plaintiffs be required to establish a jurisdictional basis for bringing the action in that court, that they be enjoined not to engage in improper joinder, and that they be required to establish to some extent the merits of their claim.

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogsp ... -mass.html
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby rapier57 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:08 pm

Yeah, that whole suing a pile of J Doe's thing and "improper joinder" is just a backdoor way to get subpoena's to hammer with. No probably cause, no jurisdiction, no real evidence, just fishing for it.

Some judges have allowed it in some cases a couple years ago, and then had those decisions overturned, later. Thankfully.

We're still a ways out from this setting down to a rational, workable environment.
Rapier57.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Return to Media Room