Martin Luther King

All things related to movies, television, music, Celebrities, whatever falls into entertainment...if you can watch it on a screen for entertainment purposes, listen to it, gossip about it...you can discuss it here
jaymill230
UtterTazNutter

Martin Luther King

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:15 pm

If you have never read/heard/seen his famous speach on the mall, perhaps you should today.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeche ... adream.htm

Let us never repeat the mistakes of the past, with african-americans, muslims, or any American citizen.

DaFoxx
DaBOSS
Are you a Spammer: No

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:27 pm

any particular reason to post this :?
just a Brit wondering out loud
cos MLK doesn't mean that much over here
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :shock:

jaymill230
UtterTazNutter

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:40 pm

lol, sorry, well for us stateside, its Martin Luther King day. He was basically "the" Black rights leader. This is one of the most famous speeches ever made.

He was later assassinated.

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:29 pm

Well...he is probably one of the very few people that should be remembered as a champion of racial equality...especially during the turbulent 60's.

In fact I keep a poster from his frat on my wall commemorating one of his birthdays.

And when I was in California I did some artwork for his fraternity brethren APA ( Alpha Phi Alpha )...and the sister sorority AKA ( Alpha Kappa Alpha ).

My poster from the Nu Sigma Chapter says:

" We are prone to
judge success by the
index of our salaries
or the size of our
automobiles, rather
than by the quality
of our service and
relationship to
humanity. "

I've had that poster for years and it's quite worn but still sits on the wall in front of me as a reminder that there are more important things in life and better measures of character.

He was far from a saint...just a man true to his convictions...till the end. ;)

Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]
Are you a Spammer: No

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:28 pm

Yeah, it's celebrated rather widely and for some reason, every city has to have a MLK Boulevard. Nothing wrong with that, but it's also almost always part of the poorest of the black sections, like it's some reason... In Tampa, there's an MLK Blvd and you would NOT want to be there alone during the daylight much less at night. That's what I don't get...living on that street as a black person doesn't make you a better non-racist person. And why is crime worse in those areas? And why are things being brought up as problematic just because one's black?

Now, trust me, I respect the man...probably more so than Malcolm X. I also wrote several biographies on George Washington Carver who did amazing things with peanuts and technologies to improve the southern farming region. I just don't understand why something has to be put in a street sign and yet, I don't see it as an area I'd put myself, much less a future family...
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:54 pm

I have a natural tendency to respect people of convictions...whether I agree with them or not ...so...I place Malcolm X in the same light as MLKjr.

For instance: the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons...two of the most ridiculed religions in North America...the banter of almost every comedian in the last 30 years...hated and despised by many...

and they know it :D ...they know they're the butt of jokes, laughed at, despised, ridiculed...

but you gotta give them credit...they practice their beliefs and live up to their convictions.
Even though they know the door is more than likely going to slam in their face. ;)

Malcolm X spent most of his life, after he got out of jail, as a puppet of Elijah Mohammad...but...he was true to his convictions...even though most of his early convictions were wrong. ;)

catch
Wankers Cramp - no - its from typing - HONEST

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:18 pm

Vorlin, after MLK's death who do you think were the groups most likely to petition to honor him? That is why those streets are where they are and they should be a constant reminder to the rest of us that his dream has not been realized.

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess

Harry
Site Admin

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:24 pm

What are those wierd people in Canada Eg that are self sufficient and marry their sisters/brothers and alike?

I got offered to go and 'breed' with one of them when I was in Canada.

Apparently they 'outsource' their breeding and then go back to their husbands who are usually their brother or cousin etc

I didn't think much of it a the time but I remembered it when you mentiond the Jo' Witnesses..

Hoodlights or something I think they where called?
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:33 pm

nokia wrote:What are those wierd people in Canada Eg that are self sufficient and marry their sisters/brothers and alike?

I got offered to go and 'breed' with one of them when I was in Canada.

Apparently they 'outsource' their breeding and then go back to their husbands who are usually their brother or cousin etc

I didn't think much of it a the time but I remembered it when you mentiond the Jo' Witnesses..

Hoodlights or something I think they where called?
Geez Nokia, the whole time you were in Canada, did you do any "Army" stuff... :P :lol: :lol: I think you mean Huddites, never heard of them