I am legend

All things related to movies and television...if you can watch it on a screen for entertainment purposes...you can discuss it here

Postby Panama Red » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:13 am

rapier57 wrote:I don't care what people say about Oliver Stone. I love his work. Platoon was a great film. I used it to explain Vietnam to family in a way that they could relate to. My mother in law says: "Why is there so much swearing?"

I had to prep her before going in, and told her just to ignore the language.

I think she got it, to a degree. Don't think she ever looked at me the same after that, though.

Yeah, I thought Berringer and Dafoe were brilliant, I could well imagine the tension amongst certain squads and the relations amongst it's members, I know what small crew bonding is about, you can laugh, but these guys would kill for each other, even if they only knew each other 12 Months...being in the thick of things can definitely spur on that instinct called "self preservation" :wink:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby cemetric » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:36 am

Hey hey I was not downgrading the movie Platoon at all ... I love the movie ... Just saying the book was even better :)

Eg ... Are you serious about Hamburger Hill being better then Platoon ??

Platoon was also the movie that inspired me to read more about the Vietnam War ...
cemetric
Corporate Spy

Postby Aspman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:35 am

I do like Vietnam films.

All of the ones Ive sen have been better than the usual cinema fluff.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Maverick » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:57 pm

Platoon is a GREAT film - always watch it when I catch it on TV or the movie channels..

Asp - you mentioned Cloverfield - this is one I'm really excited about - an American monster movie.. Have you seen any of the online-hype riddle stuff? The Slusho references, all that stuff?
- Maverick
Maverick
Top Gun

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:08 pm

Eg ... Are you serious about Hamburger Hill being better then Platoon ??

Well...I actually said on par or better :P I liked Platoon, just thought it was a little too over-the-top in parts, a little too over-dramatic...like the death scene of Dafoe being a perfect example. ;)

I much prefer movies like Black Hawk Down...When Trumpets Fade...We Were Soldiers...Tears of the Sun...

as far as Vietnam War movies go...it's probably in the top 3...but as war flicks go, I'd put it closer to top 50. ;)
Last edited by Egaladeist on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby cemetric » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:09 pm

Asp - you mentioned Cloverfield - this is one I'm really excited about - an American monster movie.. Have you seen any of the online-hype riddle stuff? The Slusho references, all that stuff?

It's alot like what they did/do with the series of Lost, isn't it ... I've read it's also kinda connected ... Don't know about that, the riddle sites are pretty nice ;)
cemetric
Corporate Spy

Postby Maverick » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:16 pm

Well, JJ Abrams is the producer of the film Cloverfield - and he is a writer and/or creator of the Lost series..

I don't know if they are supposed to be related, but I think they both are supposed to have that same mystique to them..
- Maverick
Maverick
Top Gun

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:26 pm

The best movie I saw of the Vietnam era was probably The Siege of Firebase Gloria with R. Lee Ermey. ;)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Aspman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:10 pm

Maverick wrote:Platoon is a GREAT film - always watch it when I catch it on TV or the movie channels..

I saw the trailer when I went to see I am Legend and did a bit of digging after. The trailer (to me) made it look more like a serious Independence Day invasion movie rather than a monster movie.

My googling dug up that the monster might be based on Cthulhu -

I found a few reviews too BUT lots of stories about seeding of the web with hints etc and the renaming of the film (SLUSHO etc) to hide it.

There is a blurred pic of half the monster on this site
http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showt ... p?t=594374
(don't click if you don't want to see)
Doesn't show you much though.

I'm a bit put off by some of the hype saying that it's related to Lost. I lost interest in Lost after about ep3.

Shaky cam is a bit of a put off too. Bourne 2 gave me a migraine with that. I understand why (joe public pov) I just don't like it.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Derbz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:49 am

Lookin forward to cloverfield, I don't really know what its about but tbh... aint expecting much. Just a whole lotta destruction and something to chat about.

But back on the topic of war movies, I recently watched a 10part mini series called Band of Brothers which focuses on the 101 airborne division in WW2.

Not sure who the director was but the way it was filmed was absolutely stunning.
Derbz
What DO you mean : real life

Postby cemetric » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:12 am

Dude ... Band of Brothers was EXCELLENT, it was a collaboration between Spielberg and Tom Hanks both are avid WW2 enthousiasts ...
cemetric
Corporate Spy

Postby rapier57 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:05 pm

Yeah, Band of Brothers rocked. I'd like to buy the DVD pack someday. The power of that is that all the stories in that series are true.

BTW, I did finish I am Legend. Matheson is a very good writer. I hope the movie lives up to the novel. I'm looking forward to seeing it, now.

There is a short story included in the book about a Zuni hunting fetish doll that was made into a T-Zone or Outer Limits at one point. That was a good one.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Previous

Return to Media Room