Obstacles to Enlightenment

The place for any Religious and/or Philosophical discussions, treatise, absolutions, ramblings, Aliens, UFO's, space exploration, mystical bullshit, astronomy, astrology, etc...
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:51 pm

I think the human race will make a huge leap forward when it accepts there is no God.

At that point everyone has to deal with the fact that you make your own choice and you are personally responsible for the outcome of you actions.
There is no god to blame.

Back to your points

(1) Should Intelligent Design and/or Evolution be taught in schools?

Only evolution. ID is a religious dogma. Religion should be banned from all schools. Minors should be banned from any and all religious practices, organisations and buildings until they are legally of an age to make the choice to enter a religion.
Allowing religious practitioners to talk to children is to allow brainwashing.

(2) Should gay marriage be allowed?

Yes of course. In the UK this may be referred to as "gay marriage" in general but legally it is termed a "Civil Partnership".
It it something that does society no harm and can bring happiness to two people.

(3) Should abortion be legal?

Yes. But I appreciate that this is a tricky one. We have limits on how late yopu can have an abortion. Currently I think this is 26 weeks and medicine is getting to the point where premature babies can be supported from this period. So I think that possibly the limit will need to be reduced in the near future.
Also there are complexities when you think of pregnancies occurring through rape. Does that affect how late an abortion can happen? Is it humane to force a girl/woman to carry her rapists baby to term?
the same for children with disabilities. When does the disability justify a termination and when does it not? Is that a choice for an individual or should the state step in?

(4) Should we be in Iraq?

We should never have been in Iraq. Should we be there now? I think since we have royally fucked it up we have moral obligation to try to sort it.
I would much rather we could get out but how bad would that make things.

Is it too far gone and we need to pull out anyway. Let the factions go at each other and we'll pick up the pieces when the dust settles.

We should be investing heavily in replacing oil. When the Arab oilfields are worth nothing we'll see the fundamentalism disappear back into the desert. Without oil they have nothing. Only Dubai thinks ahead as a tourist spot.
Last edited by Aspman on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Opus
I type, therefore I am

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:53 pm

Faith:
A young man comes upon a man that is about to walk a tight rope. The lad is asked if he believes the man can walk the rope, the young man answers yes.

Do you believe I can walk the tight rope while blind folded? the young man again aswers yes.

Do you believe I can walk the rope while blind folded and pushing a wheel barrel? The lad answers yet again, Yes.

Get in the wheel barrel
There are two rules for success in life:
Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ
Are you a Spammer: No

Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:04 pm

The weaker we are the more we will fight to defend what we believe seeing all questions as attacks..
Rather than using faith, using the questions to find where our beliefs are weakest or wrong.

Remember then ALL of the yahweh centred faiths find non or anti yahweh believers abhorrent .. (or the statement of if your not for me then you are against me..).. in the old stories it was kill them all.. in the new stories it is love them, show them, introduce them...WHEN THEY ARE READY.. welcome them.. A true Christian will dwie helping non believers, while those they help will be spaitting on them..
What take the greater strwength of faith.. to help a non-believer, for example a muslim, whil under threat of being attacked by that persons friends? .. this is haard to write.. Trying to recover from a hypo.. ill try to finish later
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

alleyCat
I type, therefore I am

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:59 am

Am I allowed to contribute here? I think Undies is on to something ... but I want to quote the bible but I know that won't be recieved with much tolerance... :(

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:46 am

Opus wrote:Faith:
A young man comes upon a man that is about to walk a tight rope. The lad is asked if he believes the man can walk the rope, the young man answers yes.

Do you believe I can walk the tight rope while blind folded? the young man again aswers yes.

Do you believe I can walk the rope while blind folded and pushing a wheel barrel? The lad answers yet again, Yes.

Get in the wheel barrel
AC.. you are most welcome to comment here.. and Hey Hey your here..

I will add to this one..
To Answer yes even when the Lad can not see a tight rope..

That is to put your faith in God..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

snakedog
It's better than BEER, being here

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:58 pm

Obstacles to Enlightenment? That's easy...

...other people!

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:22 pm

snakedog wrote:Obstacles to Enlightenment? That's easy...

...other people!
Nup.. easier... Self

snakedog
It's better than BEER, being here

Thu May 01, 2008 4:56 am

THE Doctor wrote:Nup.. easier... Self
Same difference: Mirror Wisdom

Evolution is intelligent design, and intelligent design is evolution.
The only difference is in our lack of understanding and our love
of our own ignorance.

Marriage and gay marriage: no escape from duality. Or delusion?
They will never be the same, for only one union produces offspring.

Legal abortions and illegal: again, duality. Abortion is an ancient
practice, rooted far back in history. Legal or not, the practice
will continue.

As for Iraq, I doubt it is safe for tourists yet, so no, we should
not be there.

8)

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Sat May 10, 2008 2:08 pm

To blame others for ones own weaknesses is not to empower yourself with the acceptance of those weaknesses.
For to move forward you need to know weaknesses and accpet that they are, know your strengths and how they can also be your biggest weaknesses..
know that you do make mistakes, accept that they are a part of your learning process, and not a weakness.

Wisdom is knowing who you can reveal your weaknesses to and who not.. and Enlightenment is accepting that Fuck happens, even your closest friend will let you down.. but in spite of that you are still prepared to give your life for them.

{my mother would have to rate as a blessed saint.. enlightened to the level of Gods MIL)

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Sat May 10, 2008 2:57 pm

(3) Should abortion be legal?
The abortion issue is the only tricky one for me...

because men still have no rights...a woman can choose to abort or deliver...if the man wants the child and she doesn't he has no rights if he doesn't and she does he is required to pay for that child...

the law should reflect the ' so called ' new age of reason

if a woman wants to continue to delivery and the man doesn't he should not have to be responsible for that child...it is her choice to give birth

if a man wants a child that she wishes to abort then he should be somehow compensated for that loss ( I wouldn't recommend that she be forced to deliver but there should be consequences involved )

the choice should still be the woman's prerogative but...men should have rights too

exceptions obviously apply...eg. rape, incest, absent father, etc...

now...

I realize this won't go over very well with most women...but...as a single father myself I think it's high time men started getting a fair shake in the family court system.

If a woman wants to go to term that should be her right...but if he doesn't why should he have to pay for that child...she made the choice not him.

This is one of the reasons there are so many dead-beat dads out there...women having babies that the fathers don't want.

The family court system is still very much one-sided...I know I've been through it...equal rights is not a one-way street...

it's high time men had some rights too.

DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Sat May 10, 2008 10:18 pm

it takes two to MAKE it

abortion has to be a womans choice
it's her body
it's her choice

'gay' marriage
NO
marriage is for procreation, the maintenance of the status quo
no 'gay' couple can have kids, so it cannot be a marriage

you don't HAVE to have kids, but hetro couples are the future, you look after the future, 'gays' are biological dead ends

intelligent design v evolution
again NO
religion should be BANNED from ALL schools, as it is in France [the ONLY time I will have something good to say about the French]
if you want to brainwash your kids, pay for it yourself, and get them to attend after school

Iraq
moot point
we ARE there
we have people in harms way
we HAVE to support them to the fullest of our ability
anyone who speaks out against our forces as a citizen of th ecountry that has sent them should be tried as a traitor and swung till they rot from the nearest lamppost

we do have to get them out, but to just up and leave would be tantamount to letting the extremist have free rein over us in our homeland
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :shock:

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Sat May 10, 2008 10:37 pm

it takes two to MAKE it

abortion has to be a womans choice
it's her body
it's her choice
But I'm not disputing that...the choice would still be the woman's...but it's a choice that she should have to live with if the man has no say in that decision.

I support and raise my children...so my views aren't subject to a lack of wanting to do so...all the same I fully support men's rights as I am fully aware of how one-sided the system is.

Harbinger
Aspiring Anti-Christ

Sun May 11, 2008 12:53 am

DaFoxx wrote: 'gay' marriage
NO
marriage is for procreation, the maintenance of the status quo
no 'gay' couple can have kids, so it cannot be a marriage

you don't HAVE to have kids, but hetro couples are the future, you look after the future, 'gays' are biological dead ends
Maybe 20 years ago. However, between adoption, fertility clinics, and surogate mothers....that's not really a viable argument anymore.
Iraq
moot point
we ARE there
we have people in harms way
we HAVE to support them to the fullest of our ability
anyone who speaks out against our forces as a citizen of th ecountry that has sent them should be tried as a traitor and swung till they rot from the nearest lamppost

we do have to get them out, but to just up and leave would be tantamount to letting the extremist have free rein over us in our homeland
I support them, was raised by them, and would take them out tomorrow and let the entire region collapse. I say to the West, "Let us forget about the God-forsake sandbox and let them be. Humanity will continue to grow and evolve with out them. Afghanistan has no value what-so-ever; they are still in the bronze age. The rest of the region will follow suit once we ignore them."
"I am never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken."

DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Mon May 12, 2008 12:35 am

'gay' marriage still NO

there ARE a variety of options out there to assist
BUT
a hetro couple can do it alone, and utilise the options as back up

'gay' couple will need the options as first choice

not an argument in my book
they want it all
and they cannot have it
some things just cannot be done
and do not try and add a religious slant to this as I am possibly the anti-christ in his latest [and ugliest] re-incarnation :P :)
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :shock:

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Mon May 12, 2008 12:53 am

Harbinger wrote: Afghanistan has no value what-so-ever; they are still in the bronze age. The rest of the region will follow suit once we ignore them."
Whoa.. don't prove me wrong Harby.. Bronze age? you have been watching too much of the news.. Afghanistan has been in a civil war for what 30, 40 years? but most of the middle east region is a little past 2001.. but like the USofA turn the corner, look down an alley.. you will see a completly different side.. the media love to show "That other Side" when reporting many of these countries.. just because the customs leaves us thinking they are living in an era a thousand or more years before now.. these people are not that far away from we in the west.. and we are just one.. YES ONE event shy of the stone age..
One good "Workers revolt" - or total loss of Oil, will take us from what we have to a society that is feudal and doctors, lawyers, intellectuals, teachers will be either dead or scorned..