Germany Bracing for new revelations about Holocaust

The place for any religious and/or philosophical discussions, treatise, absolutions, ramblings, etc...

Germany Bracing for new revelations about Holocaust

Postby Panama Red » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:19 pm

This will be very interesting to watch over the next year or two as they sift through all of the documents.

Germany is to open up a huge archive of Nazi records on concentration camp inmates and slave labourers, ending a long-running dispute.

Justice Minister Brigitte Zypries announced the move during a US visit.

The files contain detailed information about more than 17 million people who went through the concentration camp and slave labour system.

Until now, Germany had resisted international pressure to allow access, citing privacy considerations.

The fact that they had to wait so long because of potential lawsuits is also telling....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4921098.stm
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby DaFoxx » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:00 pm

gotta let the guilty die peaceful :P
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:15 pm

I don't support the theory that ' if we don't remember the past we are doomed to repeat it '...whether we remember or not history eventually repeats itself...

as an intellectual discussion they'll make for good reading and debate...but other than historians and scholars...at this time it's probably better just to let sleeping dogs lie.

Eg ;)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby DaFoxx » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:54 am

as someone who has been to most of these camps [fascinating engineering, weird / horrible though they may have been, the fact remains that the enginering WAS pioneering. Ovens that burnt more efficiently as the bodies fats were rendered down]

Aushwitz is HUGE, but it was not the worst
Treblinka had that distinction, and that camp ceased to exist in 1945.

until you see it yourself, you will only think of them as the size of a TV screen, but even that is a better reminder than letting it go.

there are somethings that should never be allowed t drop into the great social unconciousness

and the holocaust is one

although if the jews then, had fought with the tenacity of the Israelis NOW, who knows what would have happened.
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:45 am

hi foxy,

As I said in the same thread on AO...there comes a point where you have to move on...
Germany is still in the throws of renewal...this constant reminder will not help anyone...
the historians and scholars will re-write the history books to reflect the new information and that is how it should be...

we should never forget, or bury it...but there is a time to move on.

Eg ;)
Egaladeist

Postby Panama Red » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:10 pm

While I may agree somewhat about letting sleeping dogs lie, I however cannot help but think how many of these records could have helped survivors find their families/relatives, so too keep them under lock and key because the authorities were afraid of potential lawsuits is disingenious.

These records however horrible, should have been available the day the war ended, not 60 yrs later.....too self serving and not enough compassion, if anything, if I were a Jew I would be outraged that these documents were closed unless specifically researched, how many out there that grew up in the Warsaw sections of old Eastern Europe would have had the sense to ask?, I am sure those Jews who lived in America and Israel had the access, but in Russia (USSR), not likely.....
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi dalek,

I agree they should have surrendered ' all ' the documents upon their surrender...but...this is typical of any sensitive/incriminating/embarrassing government documents in any Country...

they usually have a time limit that is equal to the death of most or all the participants...

I'm sure you could state at least a dozen examples of this about American or Canadian government documents that were being held...that were incriminating/embarrassing/sensitive

Eg ;)
Egaladeist

Postby Panama Red » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:55 pm

Egaladeist wrote:Hi dalek,

I agree they should have surrendered ' all ' the documents upon their surrender...but...this is typical of any sensitive/incriminating/embarrassing government documents in any Country...

they usually have a time limit that is equal to the death of most or all the participants...

I'm sure you could state at least a dozen examples of this about American or Canadian government documents that were being held...that were incriminating/embarrassing/sensitive

Eg ;)

Absolutely, but in the case of the "Holocaust Survivor's" I think special dispensation should have been merited...this is a one time event so to speak....maybe...?

Also what might appear embarrassing to a politician does not nescessarily mean it is embarrassing to the individuals who are directly affected by this information...to withold information of this nature does not get justified witht the old caveat in the "interests of National Security", also I am sure some of these documents may shed some light on the culpable activities of the so called liberating armies and yes that will be embarrassing, but hey, it's 2006, time to own up and clean out the skeletons, make amends...by witholding this information, it only supports your argument about Germany and it's younger generations coming to grips with it's past and I am sure this new revelation is not going to make it easier, but hey they started it and they lost it (WWI, WWII) so if they can't handle it, then they truly need to get over it......and now rather then later.....
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby DaFoxx » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:07 pm

there is NO 'Statute of Limitations' on murder

personally I would dig up all those who were involved in the implementation of it and have died, and mince the remains, scatter the remnants into the sea ..........

Never Forget
Never Forgive

It must be the Scot in me :P
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Return to The Cave