Walter Mitty's

The place for any religious and/or philosophical discussions, treatise, absolutions, ramblings, etc...

Walter Mitty's

Postby Panama Red » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:25 pm

If it wasn't so damn pathetic, I would be laughing my ass off at the Froggies expense....got one over them sort of thing, but when it comes to veterans and those that served, I can't stand frauds...and there are a number of them now that the ranks are thinning out, which may be a good thing in catching them up....

US veteran's D-Day lies exposed

An American veteran who said he parachuted into Normandy as part of the D-Day landings in June 1944 has been exposed as a liar.

Howard Manoian, 84, had been awarded the prestigious French award the Legion d'honneur for bravery.

He claimed he had landed in Sainte-Mere-Eglise in France - the setting of a fierce battle immortalised in the John Wayne film The Longest Day.

But his military records reveal he spent the war behind the front line.

Mr Manoian was a local war hero in Sainte-Mere-Eglise, with a plaque erected in his honour.

He said he had served with the famous 82nd Airborne Division, and would tell vivid tales of his parachute mission.

"Even in the aeroplane I was wondering what it was going to be like. They are going to start firing at us when we get near the land," he said.

"One planeload jumped and landed in the square by the church and of course the Germans were already up and they were firing as they came down... Half of them were killed and wounded immediately. That was the first time I saw a person dead face to face."

War injuries

In fact Mr Manoian served with the 33rd Chemical Decontamination Company, which operated well behind the front line.

He spent most of the war looking after a supply dump in northern France after arriving on Utah beach by supply ship.

Mr Manoian claimed he had been hit by German machine gun bullets in the left hand and both legs during a fire fight on 17 June 1944, and then again by a Nazi plane that targeted the hospital where he was recovering.

In fact his only war injuries were a broken middle finger while on standby in England and then heavy bruising to another hand.

The lies came to light when military records were obtained by the Boston Herald.

Sort of tarnishes the acts of those who were actually there on the front lines and taking the shots... :angry1:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8139909.stm

Walter Mitty
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Re: Walter Mitty's

Postby Harry » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:11 pm

True, but at least he was there albeit not on the front line.

Would be worse if it was someone who was never in the war at all.
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/
Harry
Site Admin

Postby Panama Red » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:28 pm

Harry wrote:True, but at least he was there albeit not on the front line.

Would be worse if it was someone who was never in the war at all.

And there are lots around, they regularly find them out over at Arrse or Rum Ration, yeah he was there, but he should have known he was out of line, in respect to his fallen comrades at least... :cool3:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Vorlin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Whether he was in the war although not on the front lines like infantry or dropping out of a plane is irregardless, he still lied about it. Got all kinds of awards, plaques, etc... I have more respect for those like Mohammed Ali who avoided the Vietnam war entirely but at least that's the truth. Think this guy would've said anything if it wasn't found out? I seriously doubt it.
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Return to The Cave