U.S. spacecraft crash on moon in search of water

The place for any religious and/or philosophical discussions, treatise, absolutions, ramblings, etc...

U.S. spacecraft crash on moon in search of water

Postby Egaladeist » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:34 pm

California (Reuters) - Two U.S. spacecraft were crashed into a lunar crater on Friday but scientists said it was too early to say whether the mission to search for supplies of water on the Moon had been a success.

NASA, which is hoping to find sufficient quantities of water to use as fuel for space exploration, said it could take two months to make a conclusive assessment of what was found.

Recent signs of water have upended ideas of the lunar surface as barren and unchanging, and evidence of ice would also suggest new possibilities for space travel.

"Water is essentially energy," scientist Victoria Friedensen said on NASA TV. "It can be used to make fuel."

WATER AS SPACE FUEL

Three studies released last month found clear evidence of water on the moon, but the skein of water bound with dust that was disclosed then was extremely thin.

"It's not enough to be of any economic importance," said NASA Lunar Science Institute Director David Morrison.

http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceN ... CI20091009

OK...water on the Moon...hummmmmmm...if they can filter out the dust, how much longer before we start building a Space Station on the Moon. :mrgreen:
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: U.S. spacecraft crash on moon in search of water

Postby keezel » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Would be awfully lonely but interesting nonetheless.
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people. Bruce Schneier
keezel
Jedi Bastard

Re: U.S. spacecraft crash on moon in search of water

Postby Harbinger » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:45 am

Water is energy? What? I thought NASA scientists were supposed to be smart.

(No offense Timaxe, you're brilliant)
"I am never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken."
Harbinger
Aspiring Anti-Christ

Return to The Cave