Debate Topic: Vegetarianism

The place for any religious and/or philosophical discussions, treatise, absolutions, ramblings, etc...

Debate Topic: Vegetarianism

Postby Egaladeist » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:07 am

While vegetarian diets can be healthy if they are planned appropriately, some new vegetarians simply exclude animal products without realizing the nutritional risks. For example, in another study of 122 young vegetarian women, deficiencies of energy, protein, iron, zinc and calcium were found ( Journal of Adolescent Health 1996 Issue 18 ). Meat is rich in protein, iron, zinc, vitamin B6 and B12 and the body better absorbs iron and the zinc in meat than that found in plant foods.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jross ... ianism.htm

The argument most veggies put forth is our responsibility to the rights of animals. Do animals have rights that need to be protected?
In this day n' age in First World Nations where food is in abundant supply do we need to kill animals to eat?
Vegetarians also claim that a veggie diet is healthier than a diet that includes meat...studies presented by both sides seem to contradict each other.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: Debate Topic: Vegetarianism

Postby Aspman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:06 am

If the FSM had wanted humans to be vegetarian he wouldn't have made cows out of steak.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby rapier57 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Besides, cows _are_ vegetarian. But, they have like three or seven stomachs to process vegetable matter (lost count the other day). We don't. So ...

We eat the cow!

Much simpler.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby SirDice » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:36 pm

Homo sapiens are omnivorous. Our teeth are proof of that. So is our digestive track.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Snozzle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:06 pm

Vegetarianism is the way to go. Meat makes people aggresive!

And, yes, animals have rights - the right not to be slaughtered, often in an unpleasant way.

Mike
67 Not Out: A blog about coincidences and synchronicity. Do things happen by chance?
Snozzle
Wannabee

Postby keezel » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:14 am

Snozzle wrote:Vegetarianism is the way to go. Meat makes people aggresive!

And, yes, animals have rights - the right not to be slaughtered, often in an unpleasant way.

Mike

A pig wandered onto my buddy's yard and was making a lot of noise the other day. He killed and slaughtered it. Even made ribs out of it. He found out two days later that a neighbor of his was missing their pet pig. (I kid you not, he was telling me this story last week). I told him he should have offered them some ribs.

I live in the south btw. We kill and eat lots of stuff. :D

I once saw a menu from a place called "Roadkill Cafe". The slogan was "You kill it, we grill it!"

A Google search turned this up: http://www.road-kill-cafe.com/roadkill.html

I'm sure it's a parody...at least I hope it's a parody.
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people. Bruce Schneier
keezel
Jedi Bastard

Postby rapier57 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:31 am

I've always gone by the theme, "I'll eat anything that don't eat me first." When I have the opportunity, space and time, I'll grow food. I'll hunt and fish. Protein is protein and it seems that we are well capable of processing it from whatever source.

The vegetarian argument above about aggression ... well, that's just a load of crap. No scientific basis.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Harbinger » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:11 am

Unless you personally have discovered how to become an autotroph, then you have no business saying eating meat is inherently immoral because one must kill to do so.

Just because you cannot hear the (likely) still living salad scream in agony in anthropomorphic ways as you slice, gnash, and grind its life into nothing for your own continued existence does not mean you are not a murderer. Plants are contantly being found to have more advanced methods of communication and function all of the time. If anything, you should feel even worse for eating vegetables only, as they are the second least violent creatures on the planet after decomposers.
"I am never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken."
Harbinger
Aspiring Anti-Christ

Postby imnogeek » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 am

As animals and omnivours it is natural for humans to eat meat, our bodies are designed to absorb nutrients from both plants and animals. The best balanced diet is with both but as with any product excess is bad.

We have also developed awareness of the pain we can inflict, so for those who due to ethical reasons prefer a vegetarian lifestyle then they have a choice. This choice should not be pushed on others who do not consider killing to be an issue.

I would reccomend all vegetarians reasearch their dietry requirements before they embark on a vegetarian lifestyle and would urge other vegetarians to stop trying to convert others but to activley help other vegetarians (especially the young) to what consists of a good balanced vegetarian diet.
How did you come to that conclusion?
imnogeek
What is RSI ......... REALLY

Postby SirDice » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:35 pm

My ex-g/f was a vegetarian. And as a result so was I. Sort of. Thank god for BK :mrgreen:

I'm really not a big meat eater, but I do have to eat meat. Any kind of meat will do at that point.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby dinowuff » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Vegetarians are the cause global warming!

They eat the plants that produce the oxygen we need to breath while allowing cows, that produce methane, to continue to stink up the place. Have you ever heard a meatloaf fart?

Put down the tum-yum-foo and pickup a big mac. Do it for the environment before it's too late!

Did you know every time a Vegetarian opens a pack of tau foo, a fucking polar bear starves to death?

Fuck any animal that does not have opposing thumbs. (Why we don't eat gorilla) There is some bit in the Bible, Qu' ran and a few Buddha teachings that state man was made to rule all fish, fowl, creepy crawly things and the beasts of the earth. In short the teachings and verses go on to say what to eat, how to eat. (like don't eat pork unless cooked to 160 degrees f) Shit like that... No where in any ancient text or modern for that matter, does it say don't eat meat.

So all the veggies out there who feel cows have feelings too. Piss off! God said it's ok to eat the tasty critters! Multiple gods and deities at that!
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many

Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Postby Aspman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:52 am

Tofu is made of baby rabbit's tears

Quorn is extracted from the lymph nodes of African orphans.

Vegetarianism is evil.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby DaFoxx » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 am

keezel wrote:I once saw a menu from a place called "Roadkill Cafe". The slogan was "You kill it, we grill it!"

I had some road killl once
delicious
feck knows what I will do with his bike though :shock:
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Return to The Cave