Justice

The place for any religious and/or philosophical discussions, treatise, absolutions, ramblings, etc...

Justice

Postby Egaladeist » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:51 pm

A burglar breaks into your home while your sister is alone in the house, she hears a noise and thinking it's you goes downstairs where she is greeted by the burglar who decides to rape and kill your sister, but you come home just before he kills her and he jumps out the window and gets away.

Later the rapist/burglar/would-be murderer who manages to escape capture gets married, buys a house, two cars, gets a good job, has 3.5 kids, pool in the backyard, cottage by a lake, enjoying the American dream.

Meanwhile your sister spends the rest of her life in fear, suffers manic depression, you and the family suffer with her, she has no idea when or if he'll come back and do it again, you take her to counselors, therapists, her life will never be the same...and neither will yours or your family's.

Your sister, you, and your family have been victimized, at a minimum, ' 4 ' times:

1. the attack
2. the escape
3. the ongoing issues as a result of the attack
4. you've received no compensation for the attack

where is the ' justice ' ?

Does ' justice ' even exist...and if it doesn't where does that put us?
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: Justice

Postby SirDice » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:05 pm

Would it she be different if he spent 15 years in lockup for the rape before getting married, have kids etc.?
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Morganlefay » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Excellent point Mr Dice!!

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Postby cgkanchi » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:01 pm

More importantly, if you were unable to identify the rapist to take him to court, what do you suggest be done? Lock up all males of roughly the right age? Justice, in the sense of the legal system depends heavily on catching the person. Justice in the sense of the dictionary meaning, i.e., the "moral" meaning, is necessarily ephemeral and only exists as a concept in the minds of humans. So in that sense, no, life isn't always just, just as life isn't always fair...
Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com
cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Would it she be different if he spent 15 years in lockup for the rape before getting married, have kids etc.?

No, but what justice would be served in the scenario provided?

More importantly, if you were unable to identify the rapist to take him to court, what do you suggest be done?

Execute him...but that's a different topic. :mrgreen:

This is just an examination of how justice applies to man...ie.

is it a societal construct...in that societies, over time, form their own sense of social order
is it a natural construct...in that we are all embedded with an instinct of right and wrong
is it a god-given law...handed down by some supreme being
Egaladeist

Postby Panama Red » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:37 pm

It's obviously societal, we no longer hang children for stealing bread, so maybe we have evolved a tiny bit, eventually everyone will have a chemical lobotomy and there will no longer be crime...unless you own the company... :mrgreen:

Justice that uses the Jury system are fallible, but with improvements in science, a lot of wrongful decisions based upon emotion are corrected with facts.......a lot of the news today are about felons who were convicted either by hearsay or bad evidence and are being exonerated due to the science.

A lot of areas in the States and Canada still have laws that are unique to their domains, sadly all laws should be the same/consistent across both countries, it would clear up the confusion for someone who runs afoul of the laws in one state, where it's not against the law in their home state....I think Calgary still has a law on the books where you can't tie up your horse in certain areas...the amount of anal/stupid laws that are still on the books should be reviewed and thrown out and also brought into the 21st century...

As for the scenario you posed Eg, I have to agree with Dice...what happens after the perp has served their term, should they still be punished for their crimes, are they not allowed to try and turn their lives around?

Compassion is the hallmark of a civilized society, lose that and we become no better then the animals that do this sort of thing, so why not just drop a few hundred Hydrogen bombs and we all start over and leave instructions that committing a crime is a no no... :breakfast:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:11 pm

As for the scenario you posed Eg, I have to agree with Dice...what happens after the perp has served their term, should they still be punished for their crimes, are they not allowed to try and turn their lives around?

But, in the scenario, he doesn't serve any term...he never gets caught.
Egaladeist

Postby Panama Red » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:02 pm

Right, well then it's the investigative part of the Justice system that has let her down, everyone is fallible, no one is perfect and guess what? That makes us human.....if he is later caught due to DNA or whatever, then he has to suffer the consequences, as to the continued suffering of the family...that is their albatross to hold or shed, some people are stronger then others....what would you have the system do to help, other then what they already offer (counseling..etc)...the act is tragic, there are a million tragedies happening daily to all sorts of people....shit happens...I think our Justice system can be an ass at times, but we made it that way by voting into power the legislators....if people don't like the system as it currently is, then change it by making your votes count or voice your opinion, instead of burying the head in the sand or screaming "Off with their Heads"...emotions sometimes do get the better of people and it's hard to think rationally I'm sure in cases such as these...but that's what family and professionals are for to be the shoulder to lean on.....time is the great healer, and as we get older, the majority of the memories of past times are the good memories...don't get stuck dwelling on something that can't be changed...just like the stupid Newfie who voided a $27.00 lottery ticked for a $10.00 ticket and lost out on $30,000,000....bet there are going to be a lot of laughs over that one...or a suicide... :shock: Shit Happens

Oh and even if he does the time the family will still have the tragedy hanging over their lives, his incarceration will not alleviate that, some people will say it brings closure...but does it? Justice will never be fair and equitable for everyone...just can't happen, we don't live in a Utopia where everything is perfect....it's not a winnable situation for all parties....saying Justice has let the family down is unfair, I believe there are a lot of hard working individuals out there who really try their best to bring culprits to trial...it's the lawyers who suck... :mrgreen: (and that's another topic)
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Return to The Cave