Lao Tse

The place for any religious and/or philosophical discussions, treatise, absolutions, ramblings, etc...

Lao Tse

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:48 am

Just wondering LaoTse if your handle is associated to the philosopher Laozi? Also known as Lao Tse and Lao Tze. Are you a Taoist by chance? I read the Tao Te Ching ( Tao Teh King ) years ago.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: Lao Tse

Postby LaoTse » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:08 am

Eg Man, congratulations on reading the whole Tao Te Ching.

For those who don't know, it is a short book (5000 Chinese characters) chock-full of inscrutable and pithy sayings. It is even more inscrutable when you read it in an inebriated or hallucinatory state.

You can download a public domain translation here: http://www.classicallibrary.org/laotse/tao/index.htm .
It helps to know a few Chinese words to understand it better. Tao means “the way” or “the path”, Te means “virtue” or “integrity”, and Ching means “the canonical text” or “the classic book”, so the combination means something like “The canonical way to virtue.”

LaoTse is the reputed author of this book. Legend has it that he wrote it in a single night to satisfy a guard who caught him trying to emigrate from his Chinese homeland. While still in China he worked as a consultant (one of his clients was the legendary Confucius). When he got to India he continued his consulting practice and one of his clients was the legendary Buddha. His name has been spelled many ways: L40753, Laozi, Lao Tsu, Laotze, Lao Zi, and Lão Tzu. It means “Venerable Master”, or simply “old guy”.
He is reputed to have been born about 550 BC after a gestation period of 62, 66, or 81 years (depending on legend) when his mother leaned against a Plum Tree. She named him Li Er, which means Plum Ear. His ear lobes kept getting bigger (a sign of wisdom) so he was renamed Li Dan, meaning Plum Long Ear. He lived either 200 or 900 years, depending on what you want to believe, and was reincarnated 13 times.

Like the legendary author of the Tao Te Ching, I have been called the old guy. I have also worked as a consultant (and I had clients who were Confused). A long time ago I wrote a document in a single night comprised of 5000 characters so I could pass. Also like the legend, I have big ears and some have doubted whether I was actually born, although I have seen my birth certificate and my mother was younger than 62 on that day, so I cannot match the legend’s gestation period, but I do enjoy pithy, inscrutable sayings.

You asked
Are you a Taoist by chance?
The answer is no. I was accidently born into a different religion but since then I have been choosing my beliefs on my own.
Now you must excuse me. I have been drinking wine in the Greek style (out of a big flat saucer while lying on a couch) and I just spilled some.
“Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time,' is like saying, 'I don't want to.”
― Lao Tse
LaoTse
Probie

Postby rapier57 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:26 am

Fortunately, you're older than me. Not by much, but you are.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby DaFoxx » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:40 pm

and so a fellow of the Taz Tao is born
LaoTse wrote:It is even more inscrutable when you read it in an inebriated or hallucinatory state.

and it just gets better, methinks we'd better refresh the bars stocks, and get teh drunk thread unlocked :)

hush now, a master is at work amongst us
welcome to your vitual spirited home LaoTse
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby Aspman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:22 am

Huangjiu Fox, stock some Huangjiu !
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby LaoTse » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 am

Huangjiu can mean many things but all of them are alcoholic. So many varieties, so little time. And then you can't remember which tasted how so you have to start over again.
“Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time,' is like saying, 'I don't want to.”
― Lao Tse
LaoTse
Probie

Return to The Cave