Poverty Sucks

The place for any religious and/or philosophical discussions, treatise, absolutions, ramblings, etc...

Poverty Sucks

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:43 am

I suppose this could go into the gripe n' rant forum as well.

I've worked hard all my life. Nothing really special about that, a lot of people work hard, especially people in poor Third World Nations. I can't even imagine what they have to do just to survive every day. As poor as we are we're well-off in comparison. They wish that they lived like a poor person in a First World Nation.

But having said that, it still sucks. I remember Christmases where my girls would have 30 presents under the tree. Eat out twice a week. Get stuff on a weekly basis. Eat delivered food sometimes three times a week. If I wanted something like a new futon I could just go out and buy it. It's called being reasonably comfortable. Not rich...not well-off...but comfortable...comfortable to me anyways...and debt free.

Then the shit hit the fan...and for the last 5-6 years it's been one struggle after another. Trying to stay afloat. Keep the wolves from the door. Whatever other cliché you want to throw in there.

And the strange thing about this is I've been working the entire time. Yep, I'm the quintessential example of the working poor. The under-paid, over-worked, stiff, just barely making ends meet. One waiting disaster away from homelessness.

The only saving grace about the last few years has been I've managed to avoid debt. Only because I'm old school, if I can't pay cash...I don't buy it.

Got a few irons in the fire, nothing great, but enough to get me out of the shit-hole situation I'm in, enough to breath, but it's not coming fast enough. But it's a light...a hope...

who else here is struggling? Fox ;)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: Poverty Sucks

Postby DaFoxx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:26 pm

err YEP
still a struggle

crashed in 2009, lost user of left leg, will never walk properly again
out of work over a year, got feck all benefits
lost my house of 23 years
marriage fecked
bike gone
sold car to pay bills

then back into work, few weeks at a time at shit rates, just to get SOMETHING
got a decent contract at moment, but too little too late
no car / bike / house / savings /
cant remember last holiday I had
my dad just died too

apart from that
could be worse :shock:
so far, this century SUX
not the best decade I've experienced TBH

still, mustn't grumble
scared to actually
no idea WHAT might happen if the FSM really flexed her noodly appendages :D
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby chaosclown » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:52 pm

You know what they say, no matter how bad off you think you are there is always some one worse........I can't complain, I have no right to do so......
chaosclown
DaJoker

Postby rapier57 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:40 am

My prayers are with you all. I wish there were something I could do or say that would help.

Since I retired, I am surviving on a pretty fixed income. As I can, I pick up some work to help add to our pot. I did make contact at a security conference this week with a regional vendor. We are exploring some sales engineer support work involving setting up and migrating security appliances. Pay is great for short term gigs. Maybe you could find something similar in your neighborhood. Think about the sales droids you experience. They know enough to get the sale. Someone with some skillz has to scale the solution and install it.

Something else I'm doing is volunteering with the local law enforcement. Once I get through the screening and background check, I will work with fraud investigators to develop community outreach and curriculum and present programs in the community. Yes, this is volunteer. But, volunteer time of this type is deductible. So, keeping track of the hours and assigning a value, I can deduct it from income and get a tax break. It does help.

Just some thoughts. Might help.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Aspman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:19 am

Is anyone who works or has worked finding it easy? Come to the UK with nothing and the government will throw cash at you. Pump out 4+ kids and they'll give you a nice big house for free and more cash.

Dare to get a job and they'll tax the fillings in your teeth, tax you twice to go to work, tax you three times at work.

We're not too bad but mortgage and child care are crippling. We pay close to £700 ($1100) a month for the boy to go to the child minder we'd like another sprog but simply can't afford to do it.
Feckin gas and electric is close to £2k a year. I only drive 200miles a week but that costs close to £40 ($63), tax on the car is £250 a year ($400).
Luckily neither of us have much debt. Car is worth a little more than is owed on it, house is the same.
got to remortgage soon and if the valuation of the house has gone down we'll need to use saving to try to get a deal otherwise we'll get shafted.

If the Gov would stop giving away all our feckin money, stop feeding the parasites and mind it's own fucking business we'd all be better off.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby DaFoxx » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:39 pm

maybe it will all be better AFTER Dec 20 :shock: :D

ya never know, those Mayan guys were a little loopy, but they must have known SOMETHING :?
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby rapier57 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Yeah, well we're upside down on our mortgage by about $50K, due to the valuation crash. Refi'ed not long ago, though, to get a better rate. Called a streamline, so no worry about how upside down we were.

Now, both of us are retired. Wife has SS and retirement. I have retirement and whatever I can bring in from contracts or gigs. Then there is the family farm income. Wheat did well this year, so we're getting a record lump sum. Much will go for taxes, though.

This year, I get to start drawing on SS.

So, we're kind of in a fixed income situation, but there are increasing opportunities out there. And, friends. Keep in contact with folks you've worked with in the past. I'm making a connection now via my former boss, who sings my praises. May get a nice gig from it.

There is something to be said for keeping a positive attitude and not giving up.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby DaFoxx » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:25 am

rapier57 wrote:There is something to be said for keeping a positive attitude and not giving up.

now THAT should be our motto
and it is SO true
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Return to The Cave