Nice and Quiet

The place for any religious and/or philosophical discussions, treatise, absolutions, ramblings, etc...

Nice and Quiet

Postby Panama Red » Thu May 25, 2006 7:01 pm

Seems Sony and the lawsuit have quietly been settled, not much fanfare..

A federal judge on Monday gave final approval to a settlement in a class action suit against Sony BMG Music Entertainment over anticopying software the company had embedded in some music CDs.

The agreement Click for PDF covers anyone who bought, received or used CDs containing what was revealed to be flawed digital rights management (DRM) software after Aug. 1, 2003. Those customers can file a claim and receive certain benefits, such as a nonprotected replacement CD, free downloads of music from that CD and additional cash payments.

The court action picked up last fall when security researchers discovered vulnerabilities posed by two pieces of software, First4Internet's XCP and SunnComm's MediaMax, which are automatically installed on a user's computer upon loading certain Sony BMG music CDs. The software's presence was masked by a "rootkit" that can make the PC more vulnerable to viruses and other hacker attacks.

Source
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Re: Nice and Quiet

Postby J_K9 » Thu May 25, 2006 7:26 pm

Panama Red wrote:Those customers can file a claim and receive certain benefits, such as a nonprotected replacement CD, free downloads of music from that CD and additional cash payments.

Oooh.. Really? Well, at least we get SOMETHING. Now I've just gotta figure out how to get all those benefits for my Brits 2006 CD or whatever it was :)
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]
J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Return to The Cave