Smoking and other Bad Habits

The place for any religious and/or philosophical discussions, treatise, absolutions, ramblings, etc...

Postby Aspman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:58 am

RE: what AK_47 as saying about Italy.

I was really suprised that a smoking ban happened there. I thought smoking was far more ingrained into the culture in Italy than the UK. A bit more like France.

I'm not sure how it has affected the pub trade I've heard two opposing stories that business was down 20% and that it was up 20%.
From what I've seen I think it might be up a little. A lot of the better pubs (not the spit and sawdust types) have used the ban as a point to tidy up and get refurbished orjust clean the stick carpets. So a lot of the pubs are generally nicer anyway.

The Council is baing a bit arsey for some of them though by banning the pubs putting up shelters in gardens or blocking applications for beer gardens.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby J_K9 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:26 pm

Aspman wrote:I was really suprised that a smoking ban happened there. I thought smoking was far more ingrained into the culture in Italy than the UK. A bit more like France.

Really? :shock:

I'd *personally* say that smoking is a greater part of the culture in the UK than in Italy.. In the UK, it's almost as if everyone and their mum smokes. In Italy, I noticed that far fewer people smoked..

Although that might just be my take on it :?

I agree with what you said about the pubs though. Thanks to the non-smoking areas (which are fairly larged AND separated from the smoking section), I can now go to the pub to have a Sunday lunch ;)
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]
J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Postby Aspman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:54 pm

Really?

I'd *personally* say that smoking is a greater part of the culture in the UK than in Italy.. In the UK, it's almost as if everyone and their mum smokes. In Italy, I noticed that far fewer people smoked..

I've never been to so it's just my perception of Italy being full of people in shades puffing away. What is presented by the media I suppose.

In the same way as you refer to us folk up north as White n Wooly Sunday lunch on legs shagging alcoholics and I refer to you as a little public school fart knocker :mrgreen:
Last edited by Aspman on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby J_K9 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:04 pm

Aspman wrote:I've never been to so it's just my perception of Italy being full of people in shades puffing away. What is presented by the media I suppose.

Ah... Polluted by the media ;)

Nah, the Italians smoke less than the British IMHO...

Although one thing than NO-ONE beats the British on is drinking :lol:
In the same way as you refer to us folk up north as White n Wooly Sunday lunch on legs shagging alcoholics and I refer to use as a little public school fart knocker :mrgreen:

'use'? You mean 'you'? :P

'little public school fart knocker' -- ROFL!

I wonder what you imagine me as :lol: :shock: :lol:
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Postby Egaladeist » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:46 pm

Excuse me while I take a break...

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Eg :D :P
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Aspman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:50 pm

'use'? You mean 'you'?

I was slipping into the phonetic, youse is what the neds say up here and me when I'm slacking.

I think you ought to cut down a bit Eg. You'll be on the chewing 'baccy next.
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Panama Red » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:57 pm

Image Hhmmm it's no wonder you never asleep Eg
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby alleyCat » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:30 am

Aspman wrote:
'use'? You mean 'you'?

I was slipping into the phonetic, youse is what the neds say up here and me when I'm slacking.

My favourite way to render that is 'ewes'.

I find in Sydney, there are far more smokers in the corporate world than elsewhere... just an observation, wondering if anyone else has noticed that?
alleyCat
I type, therefore I am

Postby Panama Red » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:34 am

I find in Sydney, there are far more smokers in the corporate world than elsewhere... just an observation, wondering if anyone else has noticed that?

We banned smoking in the workplace eons ago, I can't remember the last time I was able to put my feet up on the desk and slowly inhale while my troops slogged it out...Lol....no Canada Safety ensured with Workers Compensation that this is one law that was going to stick....something to do with that quiant notion of "worker's rights".....ahhh bring back the Dickens years.... :P

The best version of youse I remember hearing was in the movie Cousin Vinny, when the judge (Herman Munster) looked at Joe Pesci and echoed what Joe Pesci said "Youse guys"? Lol...
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby alleyCat » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:56 am

Panama Red wrote:

We banned smoking in the workplace eons ago, I can't remember the last time I was able to put my feet up on the desk and slowly inhale while my troops slogged it out...Lol....no Canada Safety ensured with Workers Compensation that this is one law that was going to stick....something to do with that quiant notion of "worker's rights".....ahhh bring back the Dickens years.... :P

ewe misunderstand me... It has been banned since the 80's here too... what I'm referring to is the plight of the sidewalk... seems like very building has a constant flood of smokers out the front... I hate to think what it does to their productivity... not to mention the lifts are disgusting after they get out...
alleyCat
I type, therefore I am

Postby J_K9 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:27 am

I've seen that in London too - people leaning against the front doors of a business, or sitting on the steps, smoking a cig.

What I want to know is if they get GIVEN those breaks, or if they're just wasting work time :?:

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Postby Panama Red » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:06 pm

What I find pathetic is the people who hang around outside the Hospitals and some of them are still hooked up to their IV's, and yes your right about the business sector, when all of their employees go outside, we have a couple here where I work, and in most cases I don't mind (ex smoker) but when they run out every Half Hour on the Hour for a puff, I start to get ticked.... :evil:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Shippwreck » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:23 pm

Well, i don't mind the smokers, as last time a boss had a word with me about my non work related internet usage, i pointed out that my usage is still far less than the time the smokers take for breaks...

He saw my point :wink:
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:
Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Postby alleyCat » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:50 am

Shippwreck wrote:Well, i don't mind the smokers, as last time a boss had a word with me about my non work related internet usage, i pointed out that my usage is still far less than the time the smokers take for breaks...

He saw my point :wink:

heh, good call Shipp! *stores that up for use later*
alleyCat
I type, therefore I am

Previous

Return to The Cave