CastleCops is gone

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

CastleCops is gone

Postby Egaladeist » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Greetings Folks,

You have arrived at the CastleCops website, which is currently offline. It has been our pleasure to investigate online crime and volunteer with our virtual family to assist with your computer needs and make the Internet a safer place. Unfortunately, all things come to an end. Keep up the good fight folks, for the spirit of this community lies within each of us. We are empowered to improve the safety and security of the Internet in our own way. Let us feel blessed for the impact we made and the relationships created.

With respect to the server marathon, by March 17 2009 CastleCops will refund contributions made through PayPal that were specifically designated for servers. Unfortunately, server donations made via check cannot be returned because we do not have the addresses for the donating entity. Unless instructed otherwise, CastleCops will re-allocate these funds as a donation to the Internet Systems Consortium (ISC.org). This organization sponsored our hosting environment for approximately the past 2 years. Please contact us [cc at laudanski dot com] before March 17, 2009, if you would like a return of your server marathon donation. Otherwise, we would like to thank the ISC for their unfettered support.

We thank everyone in creating our unique footprint and memories in time.

Love, Best Wishes and Happy Holidays, CastleCops
PST 23 Dec 2008

Closed down for good apparently. Any way we can get a hold of their memberlist for a mass e-mail :D
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: CastleCops is gone

Postby snakedog » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:53 am

R.I.P., CastleCops. That was a "Go To" site for some time.
snakedog
It's better than BEER, being here

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:32 am

Yeh...big surprise, went over to update my account and it's gone :shock:
Egaladeist

Postby Egaladeist » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:26 pm

13th October 2008

An American hacker has been sentenced to two years in federal prison for waging potent attacks that took down two volunteer websites for days at a time.

Gregory C. King of Fairfield, California, was also ordered to pay more than $69,000 in restitution for distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks on CastleCops and KillaNet Technologies. In June, King admitted he used a bot army to wage a relentless campaign of destruction on the sites in a scheme to punish the operators for behavior he thought was unfair. The attacks were so fierce that his victims sustained as much as $70,000 in damage, according to court documents.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/13 ... sentenced/

"My good friend's ISP shut him over this fucking post," King wrote in a CastleCops forum in February 2007, just minutes before a DDoS attack brought the down website, which is dedicated to fighting malware, phishing and other types of cyber crime. "I have the right to be angry." Volunteers at CastleCops spent the next five days trying to deflect the assault.

King's arsenal included a 7,000-node botnet that he misappropriated from another bot herder, according to court documents. At times, he used his father's DSL connection to unleash the attacks. Other times, he launched them from a near-by Best Buy store or a McDonald's restaurant.
Egaladeist

Postby Vorlin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:42 pm

I hope this guy King gets "bot-raped" by 7000 big black guys in jail looking for a new girlfriend. Someone go get him some knee pads.

"Right to be angry?" ... Oh really? How do you think *I* feel when a positive site gets taken down like that? Man, I'd c4/claymore his car and house if I knew where he lived. F*cker better be glad I'm not in California but South Carolina.
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby Egaladeist » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:56 pm

I'd c4/claymore his car and house if I knew where he lived. F*cker better be glad I'm not in California but South Carolina.

Don't be shy Vorlin..tell us what you really think :mrgreen:
Egaladeist

Return to News Room