Alaskans brace for Redoubt Volcano eruption

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Alaskans brace for Redoubt Volcano eruption

Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:54 am

Hardware stores and auto parts shops scored a post-holiday run of business this week as Anchorage-area residents stocked up on protective eyewear and masks ahead of a possible eruption of Mount Redoubt.

Monitoring earthquakes underneath the 10,200-foot Redoubt Volcano about 100 miles southwest of Anchorage, scientists from the Alaska Volcano Observatory warned that an eruption was imminent, sending experienced Alaskans shopping for protection against a dusty shower of volcanic ash that could descend on south-central Alaska.

"Every time this happens we do get a run on dust masks and goggles," said Phil Robinson, manager of an Alaska Industrial Hardware store in Anchorage. "That's the two main things for eye and respiratory protection."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090130/ap_ ... ka_volcano

Moxnix
Going out is soo last millenium

Re: Alaskans brace for Redoubt Volcano eruption

Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:23 am

I would get an auxiliary air cleaner for my vehicles also.
When Mt Saint Helens blew I know of a lot of people who lost their engines because of the ash. It is very corrosive and will eat up an engine in no time.