New York will bear brunt of uneven sea level rise

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

New York will bear brunt of uneven sea level rise

Postby Egaladeist » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:35 am

Could the Big Apple soon be bobbing in sea water? A new study shows that sea level rise due to climate change in the next 100 years will be disproportionately high around New York and other cities of northeast US.
Today, the sea level along the east coast of the US is lower than elsewhere, whereas further offshore the level rises sharply.

This anomaly is caused by the balance of forces required for the flow of the strong Gulf Stream and North Atlantic Current, both of which contribute to the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (AMOC).

The numbers do not account for the sea level rise that is expected from the melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet.
The melt-water from this is expected to slow down the AMOC even more, thus adding to the sea level rise around New York, as well as putting the cities on the east coast at greater danger during storm surges due to hurricanes.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... nline-news
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: New York will bear brunt of uneven sea level rise

Postby Aspman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:28 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/colu ... perts.html

The first in Copenhagen, billed as "an emergency summit on climate change" and attracting acres of worldwide media coverage, was explicitly designed to stoke up the fear of global warming to an unprecedented pitch.

None of the government-funded scientists making these claims were particularly distinguished, but they succeeded in their object, as the media cheerfully recycled all this wild scaremongering without bothering to check the scientific facts.

What a striking contrast this was to the second conference, which I attended with 700 others in New York, organised by the Heartland Institute under the title Global Warming: Was It Ever Really A Crisis?

Nothing has more acutely demonstrated this than the reliance of the IPCC on computer models to predict what is going to happen to global temperatures over the next 100 years. On these predictions, that temperatures are likely to rise by up to 5.3C, all their other predictions and recommendations depend, yet nearly 10 years into the 21st century it is already painfully clear that the computer forecasts are going hopelessly astray. Far from rising with CO2, as the models are programmed to predict they should, the satellite-measured temperature curve has flattened out and then dropped. If the present trend were to continue, the world in 2100 would not in fact be hotter but 1.1C cooler than the 1979-1998 average.

Sea levels are not shooting up but only continuing their modest 3mm a year rise over the past 200 years. The vast Antarctic ice-sheet is not melting, except in one tiny corner, the Antarctic Peninsula.

Yet the terrifying thing, as President Klaus observed in his magisterial opening address, is that there is no dialogue on these issues. When recently at the World Economic Forum in Davos, he found the minds of his fellow world leaders firmly shut to anything but the fantasies of the scaremongers.

+ in the UK Climate [strike]scientists[/strike] employees claim rising seal levels in England. When I did geography at school we were taught that the north of the UK was still rebounding from the 2 miles of ice that were there 30k years ago and Scotland was going up tipping England down. Is there a similar effect in N. America?
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby SirDice » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:53 am

During the cretaceous (145-65 million years ago) there were no ice caps at all...

There were also several periods called 'snowball earth' where the earth was mostly (and perhaps completely) covered in ice.

Temperatures rise and fall in regular intervals on a cosmic scale. We've only been measuring the earth's temperature for a few years.

Milankovitch cycles
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Dogbert » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:27 pm

Oh lets face it, when it comes to climate, etc., nobody knows wtf is going on.

End of story.. :mad:
OUT! OUT! You demons of stupidity!!!!
Dogbert
1st Century Addict

Postby dinowuff » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:54 pm

I DO! Snows finally melted and the sun us shinning. It's warming up fellas! W00T!
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many

Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Return to News Room