Obama and Biden's tax returns released

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

Obama and Biden's tax returns released

Postby outerlimit » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:10 pm

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92476/?fp=1

PDF of Obama's return: http://media.mcclatchydc.com/smedia/200 ... ate.91.pdf

PDF of Biden's return: http://media.mcclatchydc.com/smedia/200 ... ate.91.pdf

I'll be very interested to see how this idea of raising taxes on the upper 5% turns out, and if it applies to him as well
14:35 < Maverick> I'm a gaywad
outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR

Re: Obama and Biden's tax returns released

Postby Panama Red » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Well after looking at that he certainly paid more taxes then this guy... Dubya's and Mrs Dubya's 2007 return granted there is a difference in year and income, but to be fair and balanced, we should show the 2 don't you think?
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:52 pm

I'll be very interested to see how this idea of raising taxes on the upper 5% turns out, and if it applies to him as well

Do they pay taxes? In Canada politicians don't pay taxes...the theory is the money is already taxed... :roll:

Yet we constantly pay taxes upon taxes on virtually everything...eg. cigarettes have always had a ' duty free ' label on them, because the tax is theoretically already included in the price...then they started to tax them anyways...this started long before the great stop-smoking era...
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Panama Red » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:13 pm

Egaladeist wrote:Do they pay taxes? In Canada politicians don't pay taxes...the theory is the money is already taxed... :roll:

That's a new one on me.... :breakfast: http://www.taxtips.ca/personaltax/whopaystax.htm
Who has to pay tax in Canada, and on what income?

Canadian residents

A person who is a resident of Canada is subject to Canadian income tax on their world wide income.

Everyone pays "income taxes".... :breakfast:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby outerlimit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:39 am

I was more concerned with the amount of money that Obama made in 2008, and the fact that he is the one talking about raising taxes on the "upper 5%"
outerlimit

Postby outerlimit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:41 am

I see what Eg is saying...

I always wondered the same thing about Pastors who are paid...
Do they tithe the money they make from being a Pastor? The money that is given to them comes from a tithe, so by tithing they are paying themselves in a sense.
Some pastors have the 'tithe' already deducted from their check.
outerlimit

Postby Panama Red » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:20 pm

In effect what Eg is saying is all civil servants are paid with tax payers money, a politician is a civil servant and so is a municipal firefighter and police officer and so is the men and women in the military, but even as they are paid from the Government they also pay the highest premiums for EI/CPP/Federal and Provincial Taxes.

Corporations that receive subsidies in the form of tax relief or loans and or grants, use these funds to pay their employees, so in effect a business that begs for money (Bombardier in Quebec or Michelin here on the East Coast) in the way of Tax relief is also using tax payers monies...vicious cycle....

Not sure about Pastors, most anything to do with a Church is a tax write-off, I think a certain percentage like 10% is the norm...
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Return to News Room