Classes! Education! Yay!

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

Re: Classes! Education! Yay!

Postby cgkanchi » Fri May 15, 2009 1:28 pm

There is some bioinformatics involved, though what we're doing is modeling biological systems using various mathematical and computational techniques to make predictions regarding the systems. For example, I'm currently working on a model of how our commensal gut microbes contribute to our overall nutrition.

Cheers,
cgkanchi
Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com
cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Postby Timaxe » Fri May 15, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm done with my BSME! Yay! Now to find a job! :shock: :lol:

As far as calculus goes...it wasn't until I got into multivariate calculus that I really began to understand it and use it to describe everything. It is useful for all aspects of engineering and sciences despite its limitations. But now numerical methods rule the day in engineering. Unfortunately people are using software 'packages' without understanding the underlying implementation of things *sigh*

I've read bits about the contribution of various microbes to our health. It makes you wonder what the extent of their interaction is to our lives and its neat to see more research into it.
Timaxe
Hmmm, should I post some more ?

Postby cgkanchi » Fri May 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Apparently, we are born 100% human. By the time we're adults though, the number of microbes inside our bodies outnumbers our own cells 10:1...
Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com
cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Postby Vorlin » Mon May 18, 2009 12:52 pm

Aspman wrote:Ah I remember biochem. Made my brain hurt but not as much as neuropsychopharmacology.

Now I just shout at people in the street :mad:

Holy crap, that hurt my brain just reading that neuropsycho-something-something-wireless-network-just-got-hacked-lemme-pop-some-vicodin-or-codeine-cology, rofl!
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby Aspman » Mon May 18, 2009 2:17 pm

I had to read this

http://www.blahdvd.com/Books/Principles ... roduct.htm

Thought I was going to have a stroke after the introduction. I wish I still had it (sold it), so I could wistfully flick through the pages and remember when I was clever. I'd probably just colour in the pages with crayon now :imsorry:
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Vorlin » Tue May 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Asp, your stuff makes my knowledge look like kindergarten stuff, hah! It's always interesting when the question is asked "How many languages do you speak?" .... "Uh, bash, shell, tcsh, zsh, korn shell, perl, php, xhtml, dhtml, c, c++, basic, visual basic (ugh), java (omg, lemme go emo), qbasic (almost the same as basic), and a few more I can't remember right now due to Alzeihmer's"....gimme those crayons!
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Previous

Return to News Room