Where do those News web site get their News From

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

Where do those News web site get their News From

Postby Possum » Mon May 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi

I though this forum would be OK for this question..

How or where do sites like PCmag, Wired and Arstechnic get all there product news from.

I would like to know this as I would like to do the same (but different) myself

Thank You..
Possum
Just beginning to get the hang of it

Re: Where do those News web site get their News From

Postby SirDice » Mon May 25, 2009 5:10 pm

From the manufacturers mostly. It's more or less free advertising if they get a decent review of something new.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Possum » Mon May 25, 2009 5:27 pm

I think you may be right.

I will follow this avenue.

Thank you..
Possum
Just beginning to get the hang of it

Postby rapier57 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:33 pm

Most of the material is written by professional journalists who seek out the source of the information (news) and report on it. Some of it is opinion (reviews and editorials) where the authors write from their own experience. Much of the material is gleened from tracking down sources, interviews and getting elbow deep into products to see how they work.

Some of the technology industry trade mags have made a decent transition from the old paper-based business model and are working into the digital age modem well. PC Mag is one that seems to have embraced the internet as a medium.

While the medium has changed significantly, the role of the journalist really hasn't. There is a set of ethical, professional and procedural standards that should still be met to maintain source and audience credibility. To be successful and seriously considered a credible source of news and opinion, you must have a track record with your audience, and with your sources. Source dry up when you lose credibility with them. Then your audience dries up. This happens every day with bloggers that position themselves as the new media.

Go to college, learn about journalism, get some street time with someone in the industry you want to work in. Then go out on your own.

BTW, I spent 15 years as a professional journalist.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Egaladeist » Tue May 26, 2009 1:30 am

Most get their news from what they call syndicates ...like Reuters or the Associated Press...which they pay for so they can republish the whole article and not link back...or they get the news through their own sources like reporters on location...

even comics are through syndicates I remember way back when I was trying to get a comic strip published I had to submit it to various syndicates...ig=f you look closely on the comics page of any newspaper you'll see on each comic strip what syndicate it comes from.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Return to News Room