I have no words

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

I have no words

Postby Morganlefay » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:11 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009 ... homas.html

This is so wrong on so many levels

Although the plaintiffs weren't able to prove that anyone but MediaSentry downloaded songs off her computer because Kazaa kept no such records, Reynolds told the jury it's only logical that many users had downloaded songs offered through her computer because that's what Kazaa was there for.

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Re: I have no words

Postby cheapscotchron » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:46 pm

Root problem=greed
Tis better to be boozed than bruised
cheapscotchron
1st Century Addict

Postby Harry » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Lol ^^ it is true though.. :)
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/
Harry
Site Admin

Postby rapier57 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:50 pm

The judge tossed out the whole "making available" issue, so the case had to be retried. I think it needs to go to appeal. But, $80,000 per song??? And how did they come up with the number of songs??? Did MediaSentry actually go to her system and download the music? Isn't that illegal entry/breaking-n-entering?

MLF has this right. It is so wrong on so many levels. Jury needs to be hung.

He-he hung jury.

I'm so stinkin' funny sometimes.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Aspman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:35 pm

Pointless too. If they fined her $100 per song they'd never see it.

They're just after the precedent.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Morganlefay » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:00 pm

Ok...now I have more words....

Well I for one am not impressed with the recording industry if this is what they are going to resort to ....its them that dropped the ball on this issue....many many moon ago they were warned about this...what did they do...nothing, hiked the prices of cds to get the most out of the failing business model.I know I was involved in the Canadian music scene and have many friends that work or worked for the record companies here. Yes the record companies are having a rough time............so....so is everyone else in the world!! Suck it up!!!

Now they are going after a mother of 4 ....because she had kazaa,(which her kids probably put on her machine) on her computer....people were "probably" downloading......give me a fooking break.

In Canada they want to give the police the right to tap our online activies....without a warrant or cause....claiming to fight child p0rn and terrorism.........give me a fooking break. It there is any suspect of either of these 2 activities...there are no delays in obtaining warrants.

This is all driven by these media giants that want to filter and control the content of the internet....

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Postby Panama Red » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:05 pm

The new proposed legislation is worrying, circumventing a "warrant" is the first step to a police state....they may argue that they are only going after the "big fish", but this sort of thing allows for the system to be abused, got an axe to grind, I'll just hack into so and so's PC and drop some images and make a call....no warrant and 1hr later the victim is in custody, all electronics are seized and explored, images found and charges are laid.....6 Months later after life is ruined it comes to light that the images were placed there by hackers.....too late to back up and restore previous life (no system restores for real life)...now imagine that ten fold...the authorities are clueless when it comes to this area of cyber space, hopefully those with common sense and not deep pockets will not allow this to go through. The cops are trying to take the easy way out instead of doing proper investigative police work, which includes obtaining a proper search and seize "warrant"....we lose this safeguard and everyone is fair game to abuse by the authorities...sad day if this goes through... :breakfast:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Vorlin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:37 am

I agree, MLF...and too bad, I'm not up there in your area, I'd call some "friends" and we'd have some "talks" with those media people (man and woman alike)...we'd make it look it like a gangbang jailcelled Alterac Valley Horde train achievement in under 6 minutes....we'd probably even make Dino look like pantywaist, hah!...Seriously, I have no idea why they're trying to do this crap to one person versus the MILLIONS doing it. *sigh* If only I had Berserk & Mangle IRL...with the Improved Mangle glyph...bleh...
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby rapier57 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:48 pm

To add insult to injury, here is a working paper that was produced at Harvard Business School:

www.hbs.edu/research/pdf/09-132.pdf

Interesting reading, folks. Kinda exposes the scam by RIAA and MPAA.

RIAA-MPAA die die die die die die.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Return to News Room