Iowa company hopes to make gasoline obsolete

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
xierox
Hoopy Frood

Iowa company hopes to make gasoline obsolete

Sat May 20, 2006 7:59 pm

While much of the world fumes over escalating fuel prices, a small company in north central Iowa is quietly hoping to make gasoline obsolete as an engine fuel.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... gine_x.htm

- Xierox

Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see. Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it's been.

Moxnix
Going out is soo last millenium

Sat May 20, 2006 8:08 pm

Image Interesting artical.......at least someone is doing something.

Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Mon May 22, 2006 1:01 am

So another guy who makes water motor. He'll just get bought out or get shot like the 200 before him. No way oil hot shots are gonne let em actually produce one of those.

rapier57
I've posted HOW many
Are you a Spammer: No

Mon May 22, 2006 4:22 am

I'd like to see someone put something like that on the road. Only worry is that hydrogen can be unstable and explosive. It would burn cleanly, though. It can't be to difficult or expensive to generate, since the old blimps used to use it and they took a huge amount of H to fly.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57

Harry
Site Admin

Mon May 22, 2006 9:00 am

Someone will have to come up with something sooner or later - eventually the oil will all dry up, or someone will nuke the middle east and then we wont need the petrol refinment process.....we can run our cars on radioactive oil.....
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Mon May 22, 2006 9:11 am

H is a good fuel but you need electricity to make it. Unless the power for that comes from a clean source there isn't much point to it.

Never heard of burning ammonia before. It says it doesn't spark like petrol, wonder if it'll burn under compression like diesel?
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Mon May 22, 2006 11:52 pm

Dude we won't run out of oil. You think oil companys don't think 20 years in advance? There are the most crazy ideas to create oil (or gasoline or something that burns) from air and water or whatever. After all it's only carbon and hydrogen in some specific configuration. The bitch is that whatever they invent, it'll prolly be more expensive then just pumping it out of the ground.

rapier57
I've posted HOW many
Are you a Spammer: No

Tue May 23, 2006 12:16 am

Alternative fuels have been around for a long time. The main reason they aren't mainstream is the auto and oil industries.

During WWII, the midwest and western farmers used home-brew alcohol to run much of the farm equipment. It wasn't necessarily cheaper, but it could be made quickly and easily from materials readily at hand, and was more available than the rationed gasoline.

Nothing wrong with alternative fuels, if they can be made without taking more energy than they produce. There are methods of making alcohol and distilling to fuel grade that requires low energy--one being using solar energy.

Just think, instead of that nasty exhaust smell we have now, we can have the sweet smell of 'shine pouring out of our cars.

;)
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57