Console v PC v Mobile

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

Console v PC v Mobile

Postby DaFoxx » Thu May 23, 2013 4:43 pm

OK
have to ask this, stupid question 1 in a long line of stupid questions to come :mrgreen:

what is the deal with a console?
I, it has to be said AM a gamer, use a PC and am absolutely PANTS at them, but do like to play
but, and here is question pt1
with the power and ability of a PC why would anyone want a console?

OK, so you have made your choice, and you have a console, but which did you choose? and why that particular one?

and, what is the deal with gaming on a phone, tiny screen + limited power [due to heat concerns let alone battery life ] why would anyone want to go this route
I have read that the development costs, and speed of creation and getting it out to the punters is WAY quicker / easier on a cell, but my first point is still in need of an answer
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: Console v PC v Mobile

Postby DaFoxx » Thu May 23, 2013 5:11 pm

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-gaming/

If it’s possible to create a superpowered game box, why hasn’t anyone been able to do it successfully for almost a decade? Why did Nintendo quit, why is Sony hemorrhaging cash and why is Microsoft putting all of its effort into pitching Xbox One as a TV-enhancement device? Ben Cousins thinks he’s figured it out: because the console is dead, a sentiment with which I would strongly agree.

item is in regards to gamers wanting the world in a console, it would seem that
They don’t want a PC because they don’t want to mess with settings and deal with crashes; they want a standard platform that Just Works

and as there are only TWO builders of said consoles, and with X-box now aiming at a console to rule them all, and have games as an add-on, it just leaves Sony
Sony only made about $17.2 million in operating income on the PlayStation business off revenues of $7.2 billion, a 94 percent drop from the last year’s income.

So as a general matter, Sony’s PlayStation business is not making money. And yet they’re doing everything hardcore gamers want. PlayStation 3 is a graphical powerhouse. They’re giving online gaming away for free, instead of charging 60 bucks a year like Microsoft does. They pour money into indie developers and generate critically acclaimed arthouse hits like Journey. Microsoft refuses to take risks with its software, releasing endless iterations of Halo and Forza while Sony releases out-of-the-box concepts like Heavy Rain and The Last of Us.

so Sony are losing money building them - which makes my initial question more relevant. or moot
I prefer PC's to game on, but I can build / re-build and upgrade mine,
maybe the answer will come one day, but I think we will see a major push to mobile gaming, with PC's getting a full load of fun too, and I can see the end of consoles in the next few years - as a gaming device, it may well be able to play games, but the days of people queuing around the block at midnight to snag a fresh one

way gone
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby chaosclown » Mon May 27, 2013 4:25 pm

I think the console won't die but evolve. Kind of like phones did. The xbox one has officially taking the place of cable boxes, blueray players, streaming media players, and roughly any other device you would stick in your entertainment center. The kinect will redefine how we interact with not only games and media but also each other. If anything the desktop computer will be the one to meet an untimely demise
chaosclown
DaJoker

Postby SirDice » Mon May 27, 2013 5:48 pm

I'm sticking to a PC. More PCs actually. Just recently built myself an HTPC (besides my 'regular' gaming rig), found a nice casing that fits my audio/video cabinet. It's only 32 cm. deep so most cases don't fit. Still managed to pack quite a bit of punch in it :mrgreen:

It's a Core i5-3470, 8GB with an NVidia GTX 650Ti. Stuck Windows on a 120GB SSD and put some games on an 500GB regular HD. Plays Tomb Raider on 1920x1080 on High pretty good. Got a nice solid 60 FPS. Looks awesome on my 55" LED TV :cool3:
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby chaosclown » Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 am

Yea, same here. I will still stick with PCs. My ultimate workstation will be this beast that runs Linux, Windows, and OSX all at once!

I just came acrossed this cool Zalman Fatality case. Its an black brushed aluminum case with red LEDs. Its an older case but it still looks cool. Right now there is a Core2 E8400 in it on an intel DG45ID motherboard. Seems I can't get out of the Core 2 era.
chaosclown
DaJoker

Postby SirDice » Tue May 28, 2013 8:56 am

My case is a Silverstone GD02 (black). At first I wanted the GD02MT but it's in a closed cabinet. The LCD is a nice gimmick but I doubt I'm going to make much use of it. In the end I'm glad I didn't spend the extra cash on it.

Now I'm looking to buy a CEC (or something similar) adaptor so I can control XBMC via the TV using HDMI-CEC. That's the only thing missing now.
Oliver's Law:
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby SirDice » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 am

Some time ago I received that Pulse-Eight thingy. Costs about 45,- euro including shipping. Delivery was fast, just a couple of days. The device is small and sturdy enough to be sent in a bubble envelope.

This little gizmo is really cool. Only three connections, 1 HDMI for the PC, 1 HDMI for the TV or AVR and an USB to connect to the PC. After installing the libcec software Windows detected the device and XBMC 12.2 instantly recognized it.

I can now select "HDMI-CEC XBMC" as an input on my TV. This switches both my AVR and TV to the correct inputs automatically. If I turn off the TV XBMC shuts down the PC too. Within XBMC I can use the direction keys and enter on my TV remote to select and play. Start/stop/pause/rewind/fast-forward are also mapped to XBMC. Some buttons on the remote are mapped to XBMC's PVR functionality which I don't use. But I should be able to remap them to different XBMC functions by editing a few files.

It works so well I'm going to order another one for the bedroom :cool3:
Oliver's Law:
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby chaosclown » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Yea XBMC is epic. Use Linux and you will never have to see the desktop. You can have it set to boot directly into XBMC. You could customize the splash screens to further the integration. Make it seem like XBMC is the actually OS. Tried it under Windows but I never could really get it to work right. The desktop always seemed to wanna show.
chaosclown
DaJoker

Postby SirDice » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:14 am

chaosclown wrote:Tried it under Windows but I never could really get it to work right. The desktop always seemed to wanna show.

I just dropped the XBMC icon in the "Startup" folder. That works good enough for me.
Oliver's Law:
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby SirDice » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Dammit, I'm going to have to eat my words when I said Windows 7 will be the last Windows I'll own. I needed a new laptop and the only ones that were reasonably affordable had Windows 8 obviously.

That start screen blows chunks. Big ones! And the applications that come with it.... WTF! Seriously? That may work on a "small" screen like a phone or tablet but on a laptop or desktop it's just horrible. Did MS teleport back in time when you were only able to show one application at a time on a small 15 inch monitor? I mean, Skype full screen on a 1920x1080 desktop? No window, just full screen. Really? As if that wasn't bad enough the font is so big there's only a couple of lines of information on screen. And you have to wade through several of those screens to do anything. Buttons the size of my fist, which I was very tempted to use and I don't even have a touch screen. I already have a tablet and a phone with a touch screen. My laptops, desktops or servers do not need one! No greasy fingers on my screens please.

Anyway, I now have it a couple weeks. Had to tweak the hell out of it to make it anywhere near usable. And I still run into some of the idiosyncrasies of Windows 8. Great move Microsoft. Nice way of putting yourself out of the desktop business.
Oliver's Law:
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Return to News Room