Sell your data to save the economy and your future

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

Sell your data to save the economy and your future

Postby DaFoxx » Tue May 28, 2013 12:53 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22658152

I urge you all to read this arcticle, makes good points all the way through
and the author is VERY well known inthe Virtual Reality - a term he coined - Jaron Lanier

Imagine our world later in this century, when machines have got better.
Cars and trucks drive themselves, and there's hardly ever an accident. Robots root through the earth for raw materials, and miners are never trapped. Robotic surgeons rarely make errors.

Clothes are always brand new designs that day, and always fit perfectly, because your home fabricator makes them out of recycled clothes from the previous day. There is no laundry.

I can't tell you which of these technologies will start to work in this century for sure, and which will be derailed by glitches, but at least some of these things will come about.

Who will earn wealth? If robotic surgeons get really good, will tomorrow's surgeons be in the same boat as today's musicians?

Will they live gig to gig, with a token few of them winning a YouTube hit or Kickstarter success while most still have to live with their parents?

This question has to be asked. Something seems terribly askew about how technology is benefitting the world lately.

Digitally unequal

While people are created equal, computers are not.

When people share information freely, those who own the best computers benefit in extreme ways that are denied to everyone else.

Those with the best computers can simply calculate wealth and power away from ordinary people.

It doesn't matter if the best computers run schemes called high frequency trading firms, social media sites, national intelligence agencies, giant online stores, big political campaigns, insurance companies, or search engines.

Leave the semantics aside and they're all remarkably similar.

All the computers that crunch "big data" are physically similar. They are placed in obscure sites and are guarded like oilfields.

The programs that the best computers are running are also similar. First comes the gathering of freely offered information from everyone else in the world.

This might include scanned emails or social media sharing, sightings through cloud-connected cameras, or commercial and medical dossiers; there's no boundary to the snooping.
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: Sell your data to save the economy and your future

Postby rapier57 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:33 pm

The concept of micropayments, of course, is not new. Many old business models should have moved that direction in the early 90's. Some did not survive and some are really struggling today because it may be too late (magazines and newspapers, to name a couple).

Online advertising (as well as the old mainstream advertising) is a lost cause, and the bulk of companies buying ad space on Facebook and other social media are just throwing good money after bad. The model needs to shift to making payments to participants, with full disclosure and legal age participation (like, no more kids being exploited). I'll go back to Facebook when they pay me.

As a writer, I should be able to self-publish work. When someone reads it, I should get a payment (a few cents per read for articles, a couple bucks for a book). A viable method of IP protection needs to be incorporated into the work to prevent copying and piracy, but that is a good model for artists (authors, musicians, etc.).

Some of this was actually envisioned by Joseph Deken back when he published The Electronic Cottage in 1981.

You can still get a 1983 edition of the book here:

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Cottag ... 876&sr=1-2

And, here is a link to his bio and current work:

http://www-siuis4.moxune.net/ajax.php?c ... seph-Deken

To get to the vision Lanier describes, we still have some very large hurdles to overcome. One of the old guard systems that is preventing progress is the banking system. They do not like micropayments. Even iTunes has to package up several $0.99 purchases before submitting to my account. When we can get the banks to quit usury (excessive fees and interest), paper checks (really expensive to process), and some other practices, they might find micropayments easier to swallow.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Return to News Room