Would You Eat a Password Vitamin Daily to Log In?

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

Would You Eat a Password Vitamin Daily to Log In?

Postby DaFoxx » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:38 pm

http://mashable.com/2013/05/31/password-vitamin/

not sure if this is really real :? or just a really good mashup :mrgreen:
either way it's a good read, and begs the question: Would you ?

Passwords: They’re everywhere, and most of us manage a half-dozen or so, at least. They’re also the weakest link in the authentication chain because humans aren’t great at creating passwords remembering them.

A Motorola executive (and former Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency head) Regina Dugan proposed a solution at the D11 conference: pills and tattoos.

SEE ALSO: First Electronic Tattoo Printed Onto Skin

“Authentication is irritating,” she said at the conference. “So irritating that only about half the people do it even though there’s a lot of information about you on your smart phone.”

One idea Motorola presented was the “vitamin authentication” pill. One of Dugan’s colleagues showed a small tablet that contains an electronic chip. After someone swallows the pill, stomach acts as an electrolyte in the chip’s battery and powers it.

The chip has a switch that turns on and off, generating an 18-bit signal like an electrocardiogram. Ones entire body would be the authentication token, just like the fobs that many office workers carry to get on corporate networks. The authentication could be activated by touch, since the human body conducts electricity — touch your phone or laptop and you’re in.

Ingestible sensors have been FDA-approved — a company called Proteus Digital Health makes the technology for medical applications, such as recording exactly when medicine is taken.

For Motorola, the question is whether the pill or a similar innovation — an electronic tattoo, which Dugan wore during the conference — can be adapted to other applications. (There isn’t currently any collaboration between Motorola and Proteus).
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: Would You Eat a Password Vitamin Daily to Log In?

Postby rapier57 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:41 am

The tattoo idea is way too close to the "mark of the beast" image in my head. Just won't ink myself.

As for a pill, do these folks realize just how toxic the internals of the human body are? Don't think a chip would survive the digestive system long enough to be effective.

I'm still advocating direct jacking in from the human nervous system. Our EKG or whatever it is would provide a unique enough pattern for positive ID.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby SirDice » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:10 am

rapier57 wrote:As for a pill, do these folks realize just how toxic the internals of the human body are? Don't think a chip would survive the digestive system long enough to be effective.

I don't think that's going to be a problem. The Mythbusters regularly used those "monitoring pills", they monitor heartrate, body temp. etc. from a rather large pill. The real problem is that you crap 'm out after a day or so.

Before RFID I had thought about a bluetooth device with some certificate on it. The range of bluetooth is close enough to the computer to be useful. If you're near it with the bluetooth certificate it would unlock the PC. In hindsight not such a good idea as the bluetooth itself can be stolen. So maybe an RFID in your hands might not be such a bad idea. The reader could be built into the keyboard.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Aspman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Any input if it can be recorded can be copied. That's why one time password codes on RSA tokens etc are so good. Yes you need to protect the source but that becomes a single point of failure at the high tech centre, not a weak point with everyone.

take Rapier's ECG idea. I'll set up two metal pads on something nearby a ATM machine. Maybe a fake bike rail to lean against while waiting in the queue for the machine. My minions will cause a queue to encourage you to grip the rail. I'll record your ECG and get the rest of the details the old fashioned way on the ATM.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Return to News Room