9 reasons sys admins hate you

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

9 reasons sys admins hate you

Postby DaFoxx » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:44 pm

just 9 :shock: :mrgreen:

http://www.itworld.com/it-management/36 ... s-hate-you
A lone admin recently drew attention to the power the humble system administrator wields when he made front page international news by leaking details about PRISM, an NSA electronic surveillance program. Of course, you probably already know that sys admins are the lifelines between your keyboard and productivity, so the last thing you want to do is get on their bad side. By avoiding these 9 faux pas, you can help keep your sys admin happy and your systems humming along:

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: 9 reasons sys admins hate you

Postby rapier57 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:14 pm

While most sys admins may complain about certain users (you know we all had those "special" users), they still had a sense of honor and duty, took ownership of the systems they managed and protected their network and data.

Snowden, on the other hand, had no honor or commitment to his employer and violated his oath. He (and Manning) will be responsible for having all sys admins painted with the brush of distrust and disloyalty. Prepare for decreasing pay levels for entry level, tougher and more complete role separation, higher skill requirements, more experience and other requirements (severe, lengthy and invasive background checks, drug tests). Employers with any kind of sensitive IP or classified information will start clamping down, if they haven't already.

If you think Manning or Snowden have done any favors to the IT community, you will be sadly mistaken. Personally, I'm embarassed that they are considered to be or called system administrators.

While there is no codified ethical standards for system administrator behavior and procedures, Stephen Northcutt published IT Ethics, which should be on the shelf of every IT sys admin.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Return to News Room