peeping while you're sleeping

When you have general news to share - put it HERE (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)

peeping while you're sleeping

Postby DaFoxx » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:09 pm

new NSA inspired T shirt triggers the Strieisand effect :hysterical:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/04 ... sm_zazzle/

Designers of a parody T-shirt mocking the NSA launched a successful crowdfunding campaign after being denied permission to sell it through custom goods marketplace Zazzle.

Dan McCall, founder of politically themed T-shirt company Liberty Maniacs came up with an NSA-themed T-shirt that described the NSA as "the only part of the government that actually listens". The design features a logo similar to the real NSA logo but carrying the motto "peeping while you're sleeping" where the genuine design features "United States of America".

Streisand Effect I hear you cry ........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

the T has been pulled by online retailer Zazzle, but they still have various other NSA related items for sale

An NSA publicist cites Public Law 86-36 which states that it's not permitted for “. . . any person to use the initials 'NSA', the words 'National Security Agency' and the NSA seal without first acquiring written permission from the Director of NSA."

Zazzle ran foul of this particular rule two years ago in relation to the design of a mug and it seems the online marketplace acted itself as a result of this previous experience in pulling the T-shirt rather than as a result of a direct complaint from the NSA; at least if a statement from the agency is to be believed.

"NSA has not sent a cease and desist letter to Zazzle since March 2011 regarding a mug they were selling using the NSA Seal," the agency said. "At any time that NSA is made aware that the NSA Seal is being used without our permission, we will take appropriate actions."

However a quick search on the Zazzle web site reveals dozens of NSA-themed gifts remain on sale, some of which openly mock the controversial spy agency, including T-shirts featuring the motto "peeping while you're sleeping" and an NSA-style logo. Admittedly, the image in the logo of items on sale is heavily modified to feature an eagle wearing headphones, unlike the Liberty Maniacs case, and this is perhaps where the line has been drawn.
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: peeping while you're sleeping

Postby DaFoxx » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:17 pm

further to this in regards to NSA
the pick up lines on twitter are fairly amusing :mrgreen:

I'd tap that
Hey, cutie, can I give you a ride home? I see your car's been repossessed. Oh, & your hubby is cheating, BTW
Just relax while we unzip your files

they even have a Haiku

i could get so lost
staring so deeply
into your metadata

http://rt.com/news/nsa-lines-twitter-storm-968/

#NSApickuplines
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: peeping while you're sleeping

Postby chaosclown » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:22 am