users spend less than 25 seconds on a home page

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

users spend less than 25 seconds on a home page

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:26 pm

hmmm, most net users only spend 25 seconds on a site before they move on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5030270.stm

I have to admit, i probably fall into that category, just never thought of it before.

I also thought the bit at the end about google was interesting as well and i must admit that although i obviously wouldn't site google as a source, almost certainly it is what i would use to find my sources.

Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:

SDK
The French Anti-Post-Whore

Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:06 pm

I'm faster! ;) 25 is too long! ;)
-SDK
SimonT Hockey Simulator -STHS - Simply, The best Hockey Simulator!

alleyCat
I type, therefore I am

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:53 am

I agree... I can usually find out within that 15-20 seconds if a page is going to be useful or not.

If its a borderline case I might del.icio.us it instead.

xierox
Hoopy Frood

Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:43 am

Since my homepage is Google, I'm there about 5 seconds. Either I've made my search, found what I've wanted and clicked, or I've clicked my bookmark. That's why I like the Google homepage: No wasted time reading worthless articles. (*cough* msn.com *cough*)

- Xierox
Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see. Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it's been.

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:00 am

But it only take 50ms to decide if they like it or not.

http://www.canada.com/topics/technology ... 6f&k=25167

Couldn't find the bbc link.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:34 am

Yeah, i read that one as well, (not sure if i posted it here or not).

Basically what it boils down to is that in order to succeed today on the web you MUST have a very "pretty" and eye catching front page, but also one that has the information that you are trying to convey neatly set out so that it is easily identified.

Fingers corssed we have achieved, or nearly achieved that with our pages...

Harry
Site Admin

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:35 am

I have google as my home page just because it loads quicker than most other pages! Im there for around 1-2 seconds, the time it takes me to find the TAZ in my bookmarks and come here. .....I dont go anywhere else after that :sad:
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:52 am

LOL,

Well i too have Google as my Homepage and i usually head straight over to the TAZ and the Firefox Bookmark Toolbar has sped up my browsing by A LOT.

However i do also visit other pages every now and again :shock:

Mainly the BBC and Hotmail. They are now my regular visits, anything else is usually when i'm looking for info and find the page through google, however if a page takes more than a second to load, or looks rubbish, i don't even bother looking at the content, i would say that with a lot of pages i have hit the back button to choose another within 1-3 seconds.

Harry
Site Admin

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:07 am

however if a page takes more than a second to load, or looks rubbish, i don't even bother looking at the content
mmmmm I wonder how long Eg gives a page to load before moving on! Probably nips of to make a coffee first!
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:22 am

nokia wrote:mmmmm I wonder how long Eg gives a page to load before moving on! Probably nips of to make a coffee first!
LOL.. It wouldn't surprise me :D

I don't usually spend that long on homepages.. I just scroll down to whatever I'm looking for and click it. :P

Well, with blogs, I spend AGES on the homepages if they haven't included <!--more--> tags (Wordpress-specific I think) -- but that's just with blogs.

I spend about 5 seconds - or less - on Google :lol:
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:43 am

How do you think he is coping without access?

I reckon the poor chap is pulling his hair out writing posts to himself on the walls.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Maverick
Top Gun
Are you a Spammer: No

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:28 pm

Back when I was in college, in my Ecommerce class we learned all kinds of ideas and concepts regarding website colors, layouts, content placements, overall design, etc. I read a few articles regarding layout theory and stuff like that - most of it made pretty good sense to me after thinking about what my habits and tendencies were as far as web surfing...

At the very least, those theories and concepts are important to webdesigners and companies who depend on their web presence for their business...
- Maverick

tygerclaw
Just beginning to get the hang of it

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:14 pm

I'm in the same boat.

The only sites I stay on for longer would be my GMail account, Digg (if I haven't been on it for a while), behind the scene's gossip for WWE, and some forums.

Even sites with long articles, I just skim the article for key words that gives me the gist of the article content. (then I bookmark it with the intent of reading it, although I don't :? )

My homepage is also Google, but the /ig personal site.
Help, my keyboard is stuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk

alleyCat
I type, therefore I am

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:52 am

Shippwreck wrote:... when i'm looking for info and find the page through google, however if a page takes more than a second to load, or looks rubbish, i don't even bother looking at the content, i would say that with a lot of pages i have hit the back button to choose another within 1-3 seconds.
Interesting... I'm a bit a of a tabwhore myself... using the FF gestures plugin (stolen from opera?) I open all the possible URLS with relevant information into tabs... from there I'll keyboard through possibly closing quickly or delicious or reading until I find what I want...

I've heard it phrased before: extreme keyboarding (unlike its highly physical counterpart ---> snowboarding...)