Ringtone for evil children

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Ringtone for evil children

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:25 am

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/12 ... nnot_hear/
A noise designed to drive kids out of shopping malls has been re-engineered as a ringtone which parents and teachers cannot hear.
Listen here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/audio/mosquito_sound.mp3

I can only hear it in my left ear. Those of you who are a bit wrinkly might not hear much except background noise.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:46 pm

Ouch! That noise is really annoying - but quite funny as well (in an odd way :P).

I came across a site once which said that your left ear was better for listening to music than your right, as it could 'tell' the difference in pitch more finely.. I can't remember what the right ear was better for, though! :lol:

I'll see if I can find it ;)
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]

xierox
Hoopy Frood

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:40 am

You can create a similar sound using almost any audio editing program. For example, in Audacity. Generate -> Tone -> Waveform: Sine, Frequency ~17000, Amplitude 1.00. Have fun! :D

- Xierox
Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see. Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it's been.

cemetric
Corporate Spy

Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:44 am

I can't hear a bloody thing ... Must be the heavy music during my teens :mrgreen: ... It's funny though ...I can hear another of these famous tones , but the link Aspman provided doesn't work for me ... strange ... I must be getting old I think ... According to my last checkup I still have perfect hearing :D

.C.

xierox
Hoopy Frood

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:16 am

How old are you, cemetric? (I just turned 19 last Saturday. :D)

- X
Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see. Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it's been.

cemetric
Corporate Spy

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:19 am

31 going on 60 ... Well according to my Chiropractor :mrgreen:

Congratulations with your birthday btw ;) ... Hope you had a bunch of presents :mad:

.C.

Debs
Mrs. Drunky McDrunkpants

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:39 am

Maybe this proves how old I really am, but what exactly is the point? I mean even if I don't hear it ring, I probably will notice you talking on the phone!! :lol:

Also, isn't it easier just to set it to vibrate?
The post office just released a new stamp in the shape of a clitoris but it's not selling very well because only 3% of men know how to lick it.

cemetric
Corporate Spy

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:55 am

Maybe ... But the vibrating sometimes can be heared quite well ... and if you lay your mobile on a desk , it definetly can be heared :mrgreen:

What you could use this ringtone for (or so I've read) is for receiving txt-messages during a test or something ... Which I also find stupid because mobiles are mostly prohibited in class ( or have to be turned of and put away) ... So I think it's just another thing to anoy the parents so they can receive secret messages of boy/girlfriends :mad:

But you're right debs ... It sounds a bit redudant, it's probably a hype or something ;)

.C.

Debs
Mrs. Drunky McDrunkpants

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:15 am

cemetric wrote:Maybe ... But the vibrating sometimes can be heared quite well ... and if you lay your mobile on a desk , it definetly can be heared :mrgreen:
The one time ever my husband went out of town with work, I had been to a football game with my family, and because of the noise level, I turned my cell on to vibrate instead of ring so I'd know if it was ringing, since I'd never have heard it.

Anyway, a few hours later, it's like 4 in the morning, just me and my son in the house, and I couldn't sleep cause I was nervous. I was sitting in bed reading, and I started hearing this really weird buzzing, rattling noise. It was very steady, and happened at a very regular time interval.... LOL! I was totally freaking out because of my stupid cell phone "ringing" on the nightstand next to me. Hubby was on his way home early to see us, but it scared the crap out of me anyway. LOL! ;)
The post office just released a new stamp in the shape of a clitoris but it's not selling very well because only 3% of men know how to lick it.

cemetric
Corporate Spy

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:26 am

LOL! I was totally freaking out because of my stupid cell phone "ringing" on the nightstand next to me. Hubby was on his way home early to see us, but it scared the crap out of me anyway. LOL
:mrgreen: ...Hehehehe ..I've had that happening to me to once ... I thought a big truck was rolling by making everything vibrate ... Must say I was half sleeping ... Took me a while to figure it was the freaking mobile ..LOL

.C.

Johnno
What DO you mean : real life

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:20 am

Not as bad as being able to hear CRT monitors, CRT monitors have a much higher pitch than that.

AcidTone

Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:40 pm

i'm 25 and i couldn't hear a bloody thing, unless i turned the speakers up to max, then i could faintly hear noises that sounded like talking. ?

alwell :sad:

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:05 pm

Debs wrote:
Also, isn't it easier just to set it to vibrate?
OK...seeing as everyone else walked past this...I will too...but what a waste of an opportunity...there are so many directions that could go :D

Eg :D :twisted:
Last edited by Egaladeist on Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:22 pm

Well i'll stick in my phone vibrating story.

I was searching for my mobile at home (as i seem to do far too often) however this time i was hampered as it was only on vibrate, so my normal ringing it technique wasn't working so well!

Anyway i eventually tracked the vibrating down to the fron room, however no matter how i searched i couldn't see it anywhere. I had all the sofa cushions off, i had moved the sofas in case it slipped underneath, but nothing. I was starting to get really frustrated as i could here it vibrating just couldn't find the bloody thing.

After a half hour of searching i eventually realised that the vibrating was actually coming from above me, so i went up to the bedroom and found the phone on the floor wedged inbetween the wall and the bed-side table. It was vibrating - making the bedside table vibrate which was then being transmitted through the walls downstairs :shock:

Bloody thing!!!
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:40 pm

The story got bit of write up because some shops are using the high pitched buzzing to get groups of yoofs to piss off away from their property. They were doing they're normal yoof thing swearing, spitting and drinking oddly coloured sugary alcoholic drinks.
The kids hear it and get annoyed vacating the area, the remaining crusties with their jiggered ears can hear it (or the yoofs) and can shop in peace.

It was somewhat ironic to find that the kids had adopted the same sounds to hear phone calls/txts in the classroom.

Plus the vibrate on most phones is pretty audible anyway.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)