U.S. Marines want new anti-sniper systems

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:30 am

The U.S. Marine Corps is investigating "a wide range of counter-sniper solutions," Special Operations Technology reported Wednesday.

"The Marine Corps Systems Command on behalf of the Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory is in the planning stage of seeking interested vendors" offering new equipment "that can detect and locate, prevent, engage, or protect against enemy sniper activities for testing during the Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory's counter-sniper experiments," SOT said in its online edition.

"The Marines are focused primarily on seeking suitable commercial and non-developmental items that can be easily modified to meet existing government requirements to support military experimentation scheduled as: Limited Technical Assessment," the report said.

http://www.upi.com/SecurityTerrorism/vi ... 3546-6229r
United Press International - Security & Terrorism - U.S. Marines want new anti-sniper systems

Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:28 pm

I've heard about some mad thing in this area. From special camera's who scan for a telescope to special acoustics devices who can pinpoint the location of the shot etc. Nice stuff if you ask me. No more full metal jacket (I think) scenes where one random shooter kills several people without being seen. Plus I hate em in pretty much any shooter game.
Double Dutch

catch
Wankers Cramp - no - its from typing - HONEST

Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:41 pm

A really good anti-sniper system is being thousands of miles away from the combat zone, home with your family. Can you still be shot? Of course, but the odds are a hell of a lot better than the finest lens detection or acoustic tracking systems... cheaper too.

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:00 pm

It's strange actually that in Saving Private Ryan, they featured snipers on both sides, when reading excerpts from the history of the second world war, snipers were definitely frowned upon, especially by the allies. The Germans excelled at it,(and the Japanese) heck the majority of their grunts could out shoot any of the allies...(lots of practise).But the sniper was a real thorn in the allies side and when they found one, they usually didn't take them prisoner..something to do with the outdated chilvary attitude, they considered snipers the equivalent to the archer..cowards who fight from afar or hidden type thing...like it's better to get shot from someone you can see... :mad: