Vienna to get gender-equal traffic and exit signs

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:51 pm

( PC gone mad :roll: what a waste of friggin' money )

A green exit sign shows a woman, rather than a man, running for the door, while a traffic light features another crossing the street in a new initiative by the City of Vienna to raise awareness about gender equality.

The campaign, launched on Thursday and entitled "Wien sieht's anders" (Vienna sees it differently) is part of the City's "Gender Mainstreaming" project.

Its aim is to "give both genders the same exposure and ensure an equal distribution of chances, opportunities and duties" by changing the gender of figures pictured on familiar signs, City Hall said in a statement.

"Because it clashes with fixed visual habits, the campaign compels (people) to think, look and act differently," Sonja Wehsely, city councillor in charge of women's affairs, said in the statement.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/061215 ... zncaw.html
BREITBART.COM - Vienna to get gender-equal traffic and exit signs

Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]
Are you a Spammer: No

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:52 pm

Man, and I thought only the US was retarded like that....there was a campaign years ago in NY by the women's lib because they wanted to rename "manhole" covers to "peoplehole" covers...how fEcked up stupid and retarded is that? I mean, COME ON...
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.

Egaladeist

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:58 pm

"peoplehole" covers

LOL!!! :D

catch
Wankers Cramp - no - its from typing - HONEST

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:01 pm

Man, and I thought only the US was retarded like that....there was a campaign years ago in NY by the women's lib because they wanted to rename "manhole" covers to "peoplehole" covers...how fEcked up stupid and retarded is that? I mean, COME ON...
You know what is really fucked up, stupid and retarded? That you believe such stupid and retarded shit is true.

It is nothing more than mockery of the equal rights movement, who's prominent members have repeatedly acknowledged the gender neutrality of the term "man."

I see nothing wrong with duel exposure, PCness in my opinion only goes to far when it protects a group from offense. This move however is aimed at awareness and not at creating unethical humor guidelines.

It does amuse me to no end, however to see a few boys discussing the follies of faux feminism... Why not just take that extra step and create a "Fire in the Belly" forum? ;)

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess

Egaladeist

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:24 pm

catch...political correctness has gone from the sane to the absurd...

your arsine commentary of us notwithstanding...

the costs involved in redoing a significant number of signage to make things gender equal...such as changing figures on crossing lights to reflect both genders...

is absurd.

A completely unnecessary cost to the taxpayers when there are several more important issues that could be addressed with the same money.

This is exactly why we have so much government waste when people support such activities then whine because they have to wait 6 months in line because there's no money to purchase that extra EKG machine at the local hospital. :roll:

Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:40 pm

catch, I really do have to wonder where your post came from because it's rather a pointed and direct attack based on my comment about how completely retarded it is to redo a term that's been around for God knows how long.

I'm all for fairness and equality. I have no problems with a woman doing the same job as a man and getting paid the same, provided she's going to do the SAME amount of work in the SAME circumstances with no difference at all. I see female construction workers out in the same heat as the guys doing their jobs. Good for them. I see signs and equal-gender terminology in areas and that's fine too. What I don't see is the sense in creating separation simply because one group finds it "offensive" for no reason other than "the term 'man' offends us". Manhole covers? Man your battlestations?

Melanie, when I asked her opinion on this, she said she has never been offended by "manhole cover" or "mailman" or "repairman" which the latter two have to be termed "x-person" which she said "sounds completely retarded and you can quote me on that".

You said it yourself...PCness only goes too far when it protects a group from offense. Isn't that's exactly what's gone on now? Who's offended? Offense, barring legalese, is one's interpretation and I would literally laugh in the face of anyone who got offended by some term that's been around for dozens and dozens of years (aka: manhole cover).

Don't you find it odd that the same group of women supposedly fighting for "equal rights" weren't REALLY fighting for it and instead could be deemed "man-haters"? It's the same damned thing with the black community (and I have NOTHING against them). Every city has to have a Martin Luther King Blvd...yet if you look, it's almost always one of the poorest sections of town but if the city doesn't put one in, it's considered racist? How does that work? Where's the "Thomas Edison Ave" or "Ben Franklin Circle" in every city? Do you see white people up in arms because it's not there? Not even slightly. Why? Because we literally don't care enough to worry about some stupid street sign representing someone who's been a tribute to history. And I certainly don't see groups trying to change street signs or whatever to equal measurement of whites/blacks/chinese/japanese/english/scottish/etc achievements.

It amuses me to no end how these comments get brought in...Egaladeist brought up a great point of how the money and time used to considered idiotic ideas like this could be used for a lot greater good and I dare say not even you could dispute that.
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:49 pm

Here on the Atlantic Coast, the media are required to refer to those whose livelihood involves fishing as "fisherpeople", not fishermen but fisherpeople, now I know individuals who make a living at this, my daughters boyfriend comes from sweetbay NFLD and believe me those folks in NFLD are considered fishermen, and actually are offended that "mainlanders" in suits who probably never saw an ocean can change what has been used for centuries, because they feel some people may be offended by the term fishermen, what feminist group do you know that would be offended by this term, Gloria Steinem?

I personally do not like PC when it's implemented by silly servants who have political agendas (party donations from lobbyists...aka feminist groups who have a bent against anything which they perceive as being biased towards women), and to hell with what's important (feeding the hungry and providing shelter to the homeless).Now does the homeless "man" feel offended if he isn't referred to as a homeless person/people. To me if the head of the board is a male then the position is chairman, if it's a women, then run :lol: jk, then call the position chairwomen 8)

Didn't they have it so a version of the Bible would be written to show he/she, whenever God was mentioned? :mad:

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:11 pm

Quote:

You know what is really fucked up, stupid and retarded? That you believe such stupid and retarded shit is true.

It is nothing more than mockery of the equal rights movement, who's prominent members have repeatedly acknowledged the gender neutrality of the term "man."

I see nothing wrong with duel exposure, PCness in my opinion only goes to far when it protects a group from offense. This move however is aimed at awareness and not at creating unethical humor guidelines.
First ...In Australia.. Manhole is supposed to be called "Utility Access".. makes good sence to me

Under "Guidelines for Clubs, Organised Groups" You have a Chairperson rather than a Chairman.. .. The man in this case is not a sexual word, it is a word that basically means to control .. Chair controller....
Chair person is nonsensicle and destroys the root word..

We have a "person" demanding that racial equality include renaming various locations/towns, and facilities so as to be politically correct:

Gin Gin - A town, (a Gin is an Aboriginal Woman)
Blackbutt - Named after the tree, oh he wants it changed too, the trees grow a knurled protrusion or 2 on the lower portions of the trunk, a Butt or a knob, and they are BLACK...

Coonabarrabin: another town.. o'l mate didn't like the coon

While I agree with many of the PC changes and some of the proposals.. but some people are on power trips, and want to remove "man" from all words they see.. Hell I even saw..not sure if it was legit or not.. to change the words "woman" and "Female" .. My proposal was "Childbearing" and "Ballbearing" as replacements for Woman and Man.. It was better than the C..K & C..T that was mentioned in the Bars and clubs...
Oh yeh and remove the Coons, Gins, and niggers from society?

PC a good idea gone silly in places.. as for the leader post.. who cares.. .. Though....it is probably just as sexist implying that women have to wear skirts... or for that matter it could be discriminatory giving the figure women visible breasts...(discriminate against small breasted women)
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

catch

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:14 am

the costs involved in redoing a significant number of signage to make things gender equal...such as changing figures on crossing lights to reflect both genders...
How do you know these changes are not just for old signs that need to be redone and new signs? Instead of assuming something logical in the absence of information, you assume something foolish. Clearly this says more about you then about Austrians.
A completely unnecessary cost to the taxpayers when there are several more important issues that could be addressed with the same money.
What is more important than equality?
catch, I really do have to wonder where your post came from because it's rather a pointed and direct attack based on my comment about how completely retarded it is to redo a term that's been around for God knows how long.
The attack is over your stupidity to believe a dumb lie intended to make feminists look foolish and absurd.
I'm all for fairness and equality. I have no problems with a woman doing the same job as a man and getting paid the same, provided she's going to do the SAME amount of work in the SAME circumstances with no difference at all.
Yes, spoken like someone truely ignorant of gender equality issues. The point is that equal does not mean "exactly the same" and feminists never claim to be "exactly the same" only those who wish to belittle their stance present this idea of equality. Equal means "worth the same" and this is a deeper and more complicated issue from "Why are professions that are populated largely by women lower paying then those largely populated by men?" to "why do girls perform poorly in hard sciences with mixed classes and perform well in all girl classes on the same subject matter?" to "why, at age 10 are half the geniuses girls and at age 14 this number drops to less than a quarter?"
What I don't see is the sense in creating separation simply because one group finds it "offensive" for no reason other than "the term 'man' offends us". Manhole covers? Man your battlestations?
Again, you are following an argument intended to mock a movement and not the movement itself.
Also as I stated, PCness of exposure and identification is fine and should be sought, PCness that provides unethical humor (protection for people who feel offended) on the other hand must be shunned.

You ramble on further about the manhole issue... wanna buy a bridge? Special price just for you.

Same deal with other arguments of man to people... recognize them for what they are, and attempt at making equality look foolish to people and not a genuine pursuit of equality.

Kinda like how Family Guy was censored to not show Mohammed and then FOX News bitched about shows that censor Mohammed and make fun of Jesus... well who owns and airs Family Guy? That's right... FOX. This approach of attacking an ideology by bushing it to absurdity is nothing new. Just be sure to see it for what it is, an attack by the opposition.

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess

llama love
UtterTazNutter

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:26 pm

I dont get it, im guessing the signs are somewhat similar to the ones here that show a stickman (Yes thats right man, as in the good old english word refering to a human) running towards an exit. And women cant wear trousers now? come on its not like theres a you know what hanging out, its rediculess, its just a person, male or female...who cares? So long as both genders can find the exit does it really matter?
catch wrote:
The attack is over your stupidity to believe a dumb lie intended to make feminists look foolish and absurd.
erm ok, I dont get how this is stupid. Hey Catch I have 2 feet, do you belive me? cause you know I reckon it would be pretty dumb not to just cause you dont know. Yes you need to open to the fact that I may not be telling the truth but you cant go round saying its obvious that im lieing and anyone who belives it is "stupid".

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:12 pm

Quite frankly I don't know who is letting these women out of the kitchen to complain anyway.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:23 pm

Aspman wrote:Quite frankly I don't know who is letting these women out of the kitchen to complain anyway.

ROFLMAO, and they better be barefoot..... :mad: :shock:

llama love
UtterTazNutter

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:29 pm

Asp I would run if I were you... :D

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:02 pm

Women know your limits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lrJg8NMsFw

Women Keep Your Virtue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ0jRuASVEQ

Women for pity sake don't drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-892c_QXfs

<heads for the airport.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

catch

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:18 pm

erm ok, I dont get how this is stupid. Hey Catch I have 2 feet, do you belive me? cause you know I reckon it would be pretty dumb not to just cause you dont know. Yes you need to open to the fact that I may not be telling the truth but you cant go round saying its obvious that im lieing and anyone who belives it is "stupid".
I now understand why you don't get my argument.

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess