It's official "Global Warming"

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
webwurm99
Probie

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:31 am

Personally I believe global warming is a load of crap. Honestly I cant believe so many people buy it!

Lets look at some science, shall we?

"The past 10,000 years have been part of a relatively warm interglacial period. However, the presence of massive continental ice sheets on Greenland and Antarctica, along with numerous smaller glaciers in mountainous regions throughout the world, indicates that Earth is still in the grip of an ice age."
from Encarta

"There is no evidence that anthropogenic forcing from increased "greenhouse gases" outweighs orbital forcing, and the prediction for the next few hundred years is for temperature rises regardless of man's activities."
From Wikipedia.

It seems to me that the world is supposed to warm up, before it cools again.

A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education.
George Bernard Shaw

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:31 am

Not to give Wiki any undue credibility ( it is inherently flawed )...but that's what I said:
it's hard to say this wouldn't have happened regardless..we may be responsible for speeding things up...but it may eventually have happened anyways.
There is no question the weather has changed...how much we actually have to do with it may be greatly exaggerated...it nevertheless has changed.

And there's no question it will affect us in both positive and negative ways...the difference between now and then is ' people '...that's something you forgot to add to your statements.

Let's assume this statement is true:
It seems to me that the world is supposed to warm up, before it cools again.
The last time we had a major global temperature change there wasn't 6 billion people on this planet...so...unlike before...we will be directly affected by the change.

Neither of the quotes you stated argue against global warming...the first merely indicates that we are still living in a much cooler climate than our predecessors ( the dinosaurs ) who enjoyed a climate suitable for them ( not for us )...and the latter quote merely states that it is undetermined as to what is actually causing it...

during the reign of the dinosaurs it was much hotter than it is now...dinosaur bones have been found in the far north of Canada which apparently was, at the time, hot and humid grasslands...

but...we are not dinosaurs ;)

webwurm99
Probie

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:07 am

I agree, I was trying to illustrate that its the world warming, not the "global warming" phenomenon.(caused by us)

People don't matter to the world. It was here first, it'll be here last. :)

Don't worry Canada will sell us all food.
A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education.
George Bernard Shaw

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ
Are you a Spammer: No

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:49 am

Is what we read and hear about regarding Global Warming Science or just corp media hype?
Listening to the latest in the media regarding Global Warming I am left looking at my earlier comment:

Most of what we hear comes from "Scientists" but that does not mean that what is being brandished is science.
Global warming, like recycled water, are emotional subjects, and as such the science will have a poor show or more be disregarded.. oh and the might dollar will have the greatest impact..

if someone comes up with an easy cheap idea, that leaves many with a warm and fuzzy feeling, regardless of it having a true and lasting positive outcome on global warming.. people will agree with its use.
To show how dumb many will be.. if general weather returns to normal for 2 years.. you will find many will ask "Global What?" when Global Warming is mentioned in the 2nd year.
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Egaladeist

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:52 pm

Don't worry Canada will sell us all food.
Errrrrrrrrrrrrr...maybe...we'll think about it :D :P

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:52 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sea_ ... _140ky.gif

You know.. one thing I have learnt.. all thge information contradicts ... just when you think you have information to hold an opinion.. you discover there is information to show what you have learnt isnt exactly correct..

I had accepted a while ago that the earth was warming..
I was researching today how the median temperature is calculated (Ice core samples) ... as well how the median sea level is calculated ...

You know.. I am still skeptical that Mans actions have a significent impact on the current warming...

If i were to develop a method that we could remove ALL of mans generated CO2.. and and in the course of a year reverse the MM CO2 for the past 200years.. and then prevent any further CO2 entering the environment ... we would have a climate disaster worse than what we expect from global warming..

Weather forcasters just dont really know what the exact effect of the CO2 levels will have.. as a matter of fact they are not able to give a clear guide of the effect of our pollutants on the weather... increases of some compounds increase the likely hood of rain, others reduce it.. others just give shit dirty rain..

But what is sickening me is the media.. every time there is a hic-cup in the weather.. sever storm.. flood, drought etc.. its global warming..
After the Solomon Island Earthquake and Tsunami, I heard one reporter ask.. "could this have been less sever if we didnt have Global warming?"

Hell some people on the GW debate believe that summer and winter is caused by the earths elliptical orbit.. it moves closer to to the sun in summer and away in winter...... ..... oh 5h1t.. thats how we fix it.. .. we drag the earth a million or so miles further out ito space... problem solvered
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:55 pm

oh 5h1t.. thats how we fix it.. .. we drag the earth a million or so miles further out ito space... problem solvered
Lol...dibs on the tug... :mad:

SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:42 pm

I agree on the warming of the earth part. The weather is definitely changing during the year. I can barely remember the last "real" winters over here. The ones where you could ice-skate on natural ice for a month. A couple of cm's snow. May not be much in other parts of the world but I liked those winters. Been about 20+ years ago now. Summers haven't been 'normal' either. It's all turning into fall all year around with some extreme hot periods and extreme wet periods. Some trees even started to blossom in january/february instead of may/june. Something's up, that's for sure.

But I'm not at all convinced if we humans are the total, ultimate, cause of this. We've only measured the temperature actively for maybe a hundred years or so. That CO2 didn't appear out of nowhere. It got stuck underground for a few million years. So it was here already long before we existed. Maybe we helped it along in getting back into the atmosphere. Fact is.. there was life on this planet, even without the polecaps. It may not be what we expected but we're homo sapiens, we got to this place by adapting to our environment. Heck, we may even evolve into homo futuralis.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Relyt
Hmmm, should I post some more ?

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:45 pm

We should be concerned and take whatever action we can to help stabilize the problem, however I tend to worry about the more immediate problems....like a$$holes with nukes...

:evil:

Egaladeist

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:59 pm

The problem is I don't think we can do anything to stabilize it...for the most part it's just nature conducting it's natural evolution back to it's glory days prior to the ice age...
ontheotherhand, we could slow down our own involvement in that process...but that would take a real and worldwide commitment of resources and initiatives...a few Countries being involved wouldn't make enough of a difference to bother...we would need a world-wide commitment...

reforestation of millions of acres of deforested land. ;)

Relyt
Hmmm, should I post some more ?

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:10 pm

Egaladeist wrote:...reforestation of millions of acres of deforested land. ;)
Right on the mark EG with the global effort and forests. What the heck are we doing cutting down the O2 producers for the earth?? Might just wake up some morning and have nothing to breathe (or not wake up)... surely we (globally) can do something for those folks in the rain forests that would convince them or make it financially advantageous for them stop.

Egaladeist

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:26 pm

Exactly...not only would the reforestation of millions of acres of land around the world slow down our involvement but it would also cool the earth, enrich the soils, reduce air pollution, and raise oxygen levels... ;)

It could be done...it's possible...doable...if you had 2 million people planting trees each year at a rate of just 20 trees per day per person...but...that would be offset by how many trees we cut down worldwide during that same period. ;)