police overstaffed to deal with online crime

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
harrykeavan
I COULD be out shopping

police overstaffed to deal with online crime

Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:18 am

I know it is a few weeks old but anyway.

The shocking lack of police resources to tackle e-fraud was comically exposed at the Internet Service Providers' Association (ISPA) annual parliamentary forum in Westminster.

The forum, which brought together industry leaders and politicians to discuss internet security, provoked lively, and occasionally fractious, debate between the two sides.

However, the unexpected highlight of the evening arrived when one member of the audience complained that his elderly mother's local police force failed to deal with her complaints about unsavoury spam messages.

This prompted a fellow member of the audience to introduce himself as an officer from the Metropolitan Police's Fraud Alert Unit, and invited the complainant to forward her messages to him at fraud.alert@met.police.co.uk Yet as the officer candidly admitted: "When I say Fraud Alert Unit, you're looking at him. I receive 400-600 emails a day. I have about 45 seconds to read and react to them - that's if I don't take lunch."

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/102055/the- ... met+police

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:44 am

I receive 400-600 emails a day. I have about 45 seconds to read and react to them - that's if I don't take lunch."
Sounds about right :D