$175.20US

When you have general news to share - put it HERE. Anything you find newsworthy that you think others might be interested in post away! (If it's tech related please put in the tech news zone)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

$175.20US

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:24 pm

According to the news I just saw 5 minutes ago that is how much it costs in electricity to keep your home computer on annually...in US dollars...if you never shut it off.

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ
Are you a Spammer: No

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:31 am

hmm 175 huh...

to me Eg.. that is an out of the air figure.. ie they havent qualified the numbers

well in OZ.. in the land of the Queens.. a PC (only the Tower no monitor or extras based on a 350w consumption - about typical for a PC running SETI..but this can be Higher.. as none of my PC idle below 100W.. and 3 of them will peak at around 500w..still no monitor)

this is 3066Kw/h per year.. this equals 425.62 AUD
but on Idle that would drop to approx $122 AUD

natuarlly the figure will be lower if the pc is idle or goes to hibernate or standby.. oh and higher if your pc idles at a higher power level and/or any extras are attached ie..monitors

Many forget that when their PC is off, but not disconnected from mains power it is still consuming power.. ok it is a watt or 2 but it is still alive non the less.. I get this cry when lightning induced power surge blow the crap out of MoBo's.."But I had it turned Off" :roll:
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:38 am

What's the exchange on the AUD? $175.20US would be approximately $220.00 Canadian right now

so...the middle ground of this:
this is 3066Kw/h per year.. this equals 425.62 AUD
but on Idle that would drop to approx $122 AUD
would be about right ;)

Relyt
Hmmm, should I post some more ?

Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:03 am

That's per box??

I run three full time at home and two more part-time (say about 40%)

:(

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:19 am

Hmm.. ok... yes true.. But most leave their monitor running.. now if the PC is in use for 8 hrs a day and goes to standby for the rest of the day.. and most are still using CRT monitors with a run of 60 to 90W (assuming 17"CRT) and a standby of 1 to 5W, out of the 4 CRT's that I am using it is splitt evenly...

If running all day: 657Kw for year or approx 91AUD per year
if in standby for 16 and running the other 8hrs?
or approx 237Kw for a year or approx 33 AUD per year Makes a bit of a difference..

I know of some people , to save power, only power up the pc when they need it...
phone rings.. save and power down..
Finish on Phone..powerup
eat lunch.. power down PC... etc etc.. up to 10 to 15 restarts perday..
but typically it is 6 restarts

that is worse

I am more the powerup in morning.. shutdown before bed..
if going out for more than an hour..I MAY shutdown the PC.....

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:06 am

Relyt wrote:That's per box??

I run three full time at home and two more part-time (say about 40%)

:(
I know the feeling! I run 4 and just turned off one since I'm leaving this week from Florida. Probably won't be turning on another one since my parents are showing up to get me outta here on Thursday of this week (4/22)...

Running servers and machines all the time really can add up...it's something my parents and I are going to sit down and talk about considering I run forums and especially my teamspeak server, hehe...
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:19 am

now my air con... that is another storey...

if it ran 24/7 for the year cost would be in the neighbourhood of 44000 AUD..

thank God for winter and cool days.. oh and a house that can be naturally ventilated

try typical four element Electric range (Stove) and Oven... another 44000 AUD..
good thing many only use one or two elements and sometime the oven.. and only for one meal a day

I may just bring a toy home from work.. and measure each of these toys at various loads.. check my theory about startup and shutdown