U.S. agents can seize travelers' laptops

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

U.S. agents can seize travelers' laptops

Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:34 pm

U.S. federal agents have been given new powers to seize travelers' laptops and other electronic devices at the border and hold them for unspecified periods the Washington Post reported on Friday.

Under recently disclosed Department of Homeland Security policies, such seizures may be carried out without suspicion of wrongdoing, the newspaper said, quoting policies issued on July 16 by two DHS agencies.

Agents are empowered to share the contents of seized computers with other agencies and private entities for data decryption and other reasons, the newspaper said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technolo ... 9520080801

cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:11 pm

OK, that's just wrong... What if someone had sensitive personal documents in there. What guarantee do you have that the agents aren't going to use your bank information to get money out of your account or post those photographs you took of your girlfriend all over the internet. The U.S. is rapidly becoming a military state...
Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com

Egaladeist

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:12 pm

Agents are empowered to share the contents of seized computers with other agencies and private entities for data decryption
That's the sweet part ...they not only have the right to seize and decrypt but they also can share :shock:

OMEN
I COULD be out shopping

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:44 pm

Isn't the sharing part kind of a P2P copyright infrigment, since your created content is copyrighted when you created it and by not giving any permission for sharing it.

Ah damn this is all crap.. I'm lost for words on commenting how ridiculous this is.

Something to consider: since you practically don't own anything anymore (not your data, not your hardware or what you can install on it or how you configure it, this is about the pcworld linux laptop) shouldn't the goverment supply you with data and devices that are "OK" so we dumb animals won't break the law ?

rapier57
I've posted HOW many
Are you a Spammer: No

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:14 pm

Just another example of why DHS is out of control and run by some of the most stupid people on Earth. I just hope we can dismantle all the mess when we get someone else in office. Rip the heart out of DHS and grind it in the dust.

'Course, I'm now on a watch list and will be arrested any time now ...
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57

THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:33 am

What I can see here is Various foreign Companies pulling out of the US.. and a few US companies being booted out of a few countries..
Just seize the wrong laptop..
The action is a legalised form of industrial espionage.. company's will be pissed.. home country government's will be more pissed..
DHS will be cleaning shit off fans for months..

BTW Omen.. P2P? who needs it.. the fed would just load your data onto one of their BMF servers.. and any fed in the allowed domains will feast on your prawns... copyright and prawn collection's are the least of my concerns..
It is bad enough that the fed can snoop frame relay links, and get pissy when you encrypt engineering test data and plans.. but not on us company links... double standard?.. like hell.. it is legalised theft.. situation normal

All this means is if a fed dosen't like the look of you.. you better not want your lappy back in a hurry.. oh and better not have any kiddie prawn on board.. ;)
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:31 pm

Crap. Now next to the heroin and speed, I have to stuff my cellphone up my arse too?
Double Dutch

Harry
Site Admin

Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:09 am

LMFAO ^ :hysterical:

I can't really find the words to say how retarded this is.... was wondering what I would do if they wanted to take mine of me...its encrypted with a very strong encryption key.....they could submit it to who they like but unless they have cracked SHA-256 they wouldn't be able to read any of my data....I certainly wouldn't give them the encryption key, so I wonder what would happen to me....likely to be thrown in jail until I give them the encryption key...or fined?
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/

Egaladeist

Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:25 am

Basically...this amounts to is scaring people to leave their lappys at home when they travel to the US.

This is just the latest ( remember the X-ray that shows everything ) in a series of events that is turning the US into a paranoid state...

the next stage is total isolation...

in about 20 years they'll start building the wall and placing the troops around it.

Welcome to the US...please strip naked before entering...put on this robe...all your belongings will be returned to you upon your departure. Remember to check in weekly to your scheduled checkpoints to avoid having a warrant for your arrest issued...and please bend over while we insert this GPS chip up your ass, removal will constitute a violation of your visitors agreement and you will be shot on sight.

Enjoy your stay.

OMEN
I COULD be out shopping

Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:39 am

Thats why I am going to try earning enough money as a consultant to start my own country.

SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:39 am

Dutch customs seems to be doing this too lately. Illegally of course as there is no law that allows them to do it.
It actually breaks several privacy laws, doesn't stop them from doing it though :(

They seize your stuff, image it and then return it. Better encrypt all your personal data.
All done under the "war on (terrorism|kiddie pr0n)" disguise of course. Or whatever floats their boat.

I see an increased sale in Micro-SD cards. You can fit quite a lot of them in a neat little package ;)
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:28 am

Well, it isn't just the US that is, or has been, doing this. It turns out that the US, by way of DHS, announced the policy publicly. Almost every country can and will do this at times, they just don't always publish the policy and you don't know what to do about it when they do snag your gear.

Granted, the sheer numbers involved make it next to impossible for this to be a threat to every traveler. But, it should cause businesses and others to pause and consider what may be on the laptop, what should be on it, and what information should be transported in other ways (online backup, FTP, etc).

Paranoia is a good thing, but don't think the US is the only government looking to nab your lappy.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:17 am

Harry wrote:I wonder what would happen to me....likely to be thrown in jail until I give them the encryption key...or fined?
Yes. Or more likely refused entry to the US and put back on the next plane to Blighty.
Joe Simpson (of Touching the Void fame) was refused entry to the US on the grounds that he had been there too often. He works in the US as an after dinner speaker(http://www.noordinaryjoe.co.uk/docs/joeArticle2006.pdf).
OMEN wrote:Thats why I am going to try earning enough money as a consultant to start my own country.
Danny Wallace started his own country
http://www.citizensrequired.com/unit/site/index.shtml

Essentially immigration services are filled with people lacking the required charisma and intelligence to become traffic wardens. The are run by the same people that remove toothpaste and tweezers from your hand luggage but allow you to be given steel cutlery for your in flight meal (I was given a steel knife on the Emirates flights).

Security theatre is going strong.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

cemetric
Corporate Spy

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:34 am

Yeah .. nice ... privacy == 0 , what's next they'll implant a GPS chip so I can be tracked (like in a mobile phone)

I wonder what happens if I bring a laptop with encryption (like Harry), but the encryption is enforced by the company ... I'll be returned denied entry to the US, my boss would not be happy then.

What about company secrets ...

Good thing I'm not bringing my laptop to Canada :)

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:12 am

Aspman wrote:
Harry wrote:I wonder what would happen to me....likely to be thrown in jail until I give them the encryption key...or fined?
Yes. Or more likely refused entry to the US and put back on the next plane to Blighty.
Minus the laptop of course... and if it can be held for an indeterminate amount of time they wouldn't be giving it back until they crack the code...
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen: