Are Desktop PC's going extinct?

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

Are Desktop PC's going extinct?

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:45 am

With an entry level price of $300 for some basic models, laptops should bolster their position in 2009. They are forecast to take up about 55 percent of all computer shipments, according to data tracking firm IDC.

While laptops used to cost more than double that of a desktop with equivalent processing power, advances in technology and economies of scale have dragged prices down so much that little price differentiation exists today for most consumers looking for a daily use PC, analysts say.

"It's just evolutionary I suppose," said Gartner analyst Tracy Tsai. "Things have reached a point where the price difference is no longer as pronounced as before for many consumers, and the average person is more likely to choose the option that offers him portability over the one that doesn't."

http://www.reuters.com/article/technolo ... 1320090107
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: Are Desktop PC's going extinct?

Postby Aspman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:07 am

Things are diversifying. The newer Netbook format has stirred things up a little but not a lot. They're still geek toys for now.
I have read that some UK high street stores are going to start to sell netbooks for £99. I wonder if this will introduce the wider public to a non windows computer.

I think we might see small brick desktops. Where they are either an all in one with the screen (EEE top http://www.advancetec.co.uk/acatalog/As ... White.html) or a small cheap plug in.

I don't know if the lack of functionality will be acceptable in the mainstream with these types of computer.

I think that most people will keep a windows desktop of some sorts even if it is just to use it as a base for larger peripherals like printers and scanners. That is pretty much what happens in my house. Oh how she mocked me when I bought a laptop. But now the desktop is rarely switched on except when serious work (needing a full keyboard) or printing/scanning/cd copying is needed. Yes I could do these things just with the laptop but it's more problematic. We like to move the laptop so to have to plug it in and out all to all peripherals the time would be a pain.

The big battle I can see is between netbooks and laptops. Hi end netbooks retail at about £250 and a decent laptop can be had for £350. You are getting a lot of power and functionality for that extra £100. So personally I can see netbooks having to back to basics 8" or smaller screens and getting much cheaper or laptops will downsize and get cheaper to take the market anyway.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Elsparrow » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:55 pm

Desktops won't die off as the manufacturer's make plenty of money out of them. Especially in regards to games. £400 graphics cards anyone?
Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Postby outerlimit » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:24 am

I think Desktops will definitely be kept around for gaming and heavy video producing and stuff...

Still, you could argue how much longer will PC gaming be around with consoles improving and spreading as much as they are... Personally, there are just some games that I prefer to be on PC.
However, when a new game is released of a PC there is always the question as to whether or not it will still run on your PC that is a year old without needing an upgrade, whereas on a console every game released will work and meets all required specs, and most likely will not crash.

I think I'll end up buying a new console (xbox360 or ps3, possibly both?) once I start working...
If not for any other reason, I'd get it for Rockband/Guitar Hero games.
14:35 < Maverick> I'm a gaywad
outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR

Postby snakedog » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:54 am

Desktops still have a number of advantages over laptops. One, they hold up longer
physically (try dropping a desktop!). Two, they're easier to service. And finally, they're
harder to steal. :lol:
snakedog
It's better than BEER, being here

Postby outerlimit » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:43 am

They are much easier to service, and upgrade. Parts tend to be a lot cheaper
14:35 < Maverick> I'm a gaywad
outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR

Postby Timaxe » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:25 am

I just bought parts to upgrade my workstation...I sure hope that desktop and workstation computers are not going extinct! Long live the desktop!

Also, when you spill your beer on one you usually just need to get a new keyboard...try that with a laptop! :shock: Well, don't actually...
Timaxe
Hmmm, should I post some more ?

Postby Elsparrow » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Bollocks.

Read the whole post before tipping the beer, read the whole post.

:(
Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Postby Aspman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:40 pm

You know it's time to change the PC when the budget games are well beyond your spec.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Return to Tech News Zone