College and how it can ruin you

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

College and how it can ruin you

Postby Vorlin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:08 am

Geeeeeez, I'm sitting here in my classes. Here's a run-down:

Biology: online-class - read and post, that's all you have to do! Do you know how many can't post worth a shit or put together a sentence worth a crap? I've actually gotten an email from the teacher about how happy he is that he's got someone with an IQ over 10!

Math: sure, if you finish all the homework, you don't have to show up except for the test which is done in the college, but hell, why not show up and learn some and help people out?! That's what I'm doing! It's funny as hell, too...I'm helping out dividing fractions with Xavier, a black guy sitting next to me and we're all getting irritated with the "system" they use and cussing up a storm..."shit! I had that right but since I missed the % sign, it was wrong!" -> "dude, don't worry, we'll beat the hell out of it in a sec, here's what you do...". Teacher rolls by and pats me on the head and says "I know you've got it, no worries", rofl..let's not talk about the girl who's across the row from me, model-material, but unfortunately, dumb as a frying pan. |-9| = ?..............9 absolute value! *sigh*

Intro to Computers (yeah, I got shoved into that): "what's USB stand for" ->.....there's 30 people in the class, 4 on my row, I'm the only one with my head on the desk "UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS WITHOUT A REBOOT COMPARED TO SERIAL BUS OR PARALLEL CONFIGURATIONS AND THAT'S ASSUMING YOU DIDN'T TURN OFF THAT STUFF IN THE BIOS/CMOS"....

RPT: "Uranium 238 is cool....got a half-life of 86 years. Uranium 738 is not fun, has a half-life of 4.5 billion years. Plutonium 239 is around 24,000 years....yeah, that's a bit of time.

And I go to class tomorrow, yay!
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Re: College and how it can ruin you

Postby cgkanchi » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:16 am

Err... Uranium 738? That's a new one :D
Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry website has been discontinued)
My blog (shameless plug, I know): http://biology000.blogspot.com
cgkanchi
Supertazzerfraggerlistic

Postby rapier57 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:43 am

Didn't anyone tell you about trade schools? Spend less time in college and make more money over your lifetime as a tradesman. All that horsecrap about making more with a college degree is just a stinkin' lie. You end up so deep in debt you may never make it out.

Just me talkin'.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby keezel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:36 am

cgkanchi wrote:Err... Uranium 738? That's a new one :D

That's a big-ass atom. That atom could like crush your house. --insert mom joke--
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people. Bruce Schneier
keezel
Jedi Bastard

Postby Kwiep » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:22 pm

I got disillusioned with college a LONG time ago. I needed the paper and that was all I neededd from there really. And for some reason I picked a study wich was actually hard, or took alot of work rather. Cursed myself plenty of times for that.
Double Dutch
Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Postby dinowuff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:21 pm

cgkanchi wrote:Err... Uranium 738? That's a new one :D

No it's not, it's the basis for Marvins Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many

Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Postby Aspman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:13 pm

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Vorlin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Bring it on! I'll drop some Plutonium 238 for you, hehe! Either that or maybe some Cesium, hehe.
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby rapier57 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 am

I rest my case.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Dogbert » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:27 am

I dunno, college didn't ruin me. It gave me one of the many kicks in the ass I needed.

I do agree that they need to change Computer Science/Engineering programs to match what the workers really do these days. Such as more practical courses, assignments, that deal with real world issues and not just theory. However, I am not advocating the removal of the theory, etc.
OUT! OUT! You demons of stupidity!!!!
Dogbert
1st Century Addict

Postby outerlimit » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:43 am

As a computer engineer, to much of the time spent in the digital design field has been focused on theory.
Doing things such as Karnaugh Maps, State Diagrams, State Tables, Dense State Assignments, etc

Shit like that is ridiculous... NOONE does fucking KMaps in the real world because you are dealing with more than 4-6 OUTPUTS!!
Same with State Diagrams, you can't draw out a state diagram with 100s or even 1000s of different states...
I think its important to learn that stuff, in ONE class, and then all future classes its important to learn how to do this shit on a much larger scale. Otherwise, you get to the work place and you're lost because all of your time earning your degree was spent working with outputs based on 5 inputs and 10 different states.
Outside of doing KMaps and State Diagrams you have no idea how to assign shit.
Fucking ridiculous....
14:35 < Maverick> I'm a gaywad
outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR

Return to Tech News Zone