Canadian piracy report plagiarized, says Internet law expert

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

Canadian piracy report plagiarized, says Internet law expert

Postby Morganlefay » Tue May 26, 2009 3:05 pm

Nice catch Michael

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/h ... e&id=53299

True North strong and free is also freely plundering intellectual property, according to the Conference Board of Canada. In a recent report, the Board labels Canada "the file-swapping capital of the world." But that's a line Internet law expert Michael Geist isn't buying. He says the Conference Board's report is itself plagiarized, and the data presented to back up its claims is unreliable.

But Geist also calls into question some of the key facts cited by the report to support the case that Canadians are practicing rampant digital piracy.

Canadians make 1.3 billion illicit downloads compared to just 20 million legal downloads, the report claims. But the source of that information is a 2006 Pollara survey of 1,200 respondents cited by the Canadian Recording Industry Association in a January 2008 press release.

"There's no other way to put it -- it's factually inaccurate and its deceptive," Geist says. "You can't ask such a small sample size relative to the rest of the Canadian population, and then make these claims. It's also a self-reporting mechanism that doesn't really tell you whether it's unauthorized or authorized."

The report also cites an Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) report as evidence that Canada has the highest per capita incidence of unauthorized file swapping in the world. But the actual report only labels Canada as the highest per capita rate of peer-to-peer (P2P) protocol, and does not determine whether it is authorized or unauthorized.

The data is also five years old and based on activity of 30 OECD countries, not the entire world.

Again...nice catch Michael.....

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Re: Canadian piracy report plagiarized, says Internet law expert

Postby Panama Red » Tue May 26, 2009 4:13 pm

Amazing how self serving reports seem to blow up in their faces, seems to be on par with the ongoing RCMP problems with the Tazer incident out West, we will use our own experts.... :breakfast:

Need more individuals like that to poke more holes into these types of polls/surveys...too many organisations are too keen to take them as gospel or face value.... :wink:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Re: Canadian piracy report plagiarized, says Internet law expert

Postby Morganlefay » Tue May 26, 2009 4:33 pm

I am with you there Red....I like guys that poke holes into what the spin doctors try and pass as fact on to the unsuspecting public....and to plagerize the original report...is just...well...laughable!

More on his website

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/blogsection/0/125/

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Return to Tech News Zone