Hole on a stick aims to reinvent the desktop fan

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

Hole on a stick aims to reinvent the desktop fan

Postby Egaladeist » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:09 pm

ONCE again, inventor James Dyson has reinvented a machine we never knew needed reinventing. After vacuum cleaners and hand dryers, his latest target is the desktop fan.

"Conventional three-bladed fans chop at the air and fire chunks of it at you, like wedges of cheese," Dyson says. "Plus, they can be dangerous if children's fingers get in the grille – and they are tough to clean."

His answer is a fan with no visible blades that he calls the Air Multiplier. Its key component is a hollow plastic hoop with an aerofoil cross section – like an aircraft wing bent into a circle. Set vertically on a pedestal, it contains a motor-driven "impeller" which forces air into the hollow rim of the hoop.

From there, air emerges through a slot that directs it over the hoop's aerofoil surface. This generates low pressure towards the centre of the hoop, which in turn creates a steady draught by drawing the surrounding air through it. The strength of the draught can be varied by adjusting the speed of the impeller.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... nline-news
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: Hole on a stick aims to reinvent the desktop fan

Postby rapier57 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:06 pm

OK, I admit I had to go look at the photo and video. Very cool idea. Interesting take on aerodynamics and cooling technology.

I'll probably buy one. I'm such a geek.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Timaxe » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:41 am

Well, it looks like future generations will miss out on the fun of making strange noises into the face of a fan...cough it up to another casualty in the name of safety, and now anti-chunky air.

I can't imagine it being quieter than a normal fan, which would be about the only thing I'm interested in now. And I don't think it can move the same amount of air as a similarly sized fan either. You're now moving a small impeller that pushes air into a hollow hoop with a fancy slot (nozzle) cut into it to vent air out at you instead of a fan that just pushes the air at you.

It could be fun to mod though. I'd like to see a mod to have the hoop rotate/reciprocate over an area like a traditional fan. And let's not even get started with what you can do with LEDs or UV/glow and possibly an acrylic tube. It would be awesome to have the edges of the tube glow blue/green.
Timaxe
Hmmm, should I post some more ?

Postby rapier57 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:14 am

I think the concept is interesting. I wonder if you get better efficiency with a smaller loop (smaller volume of space to effect low pressure against). And, what is the size of loop that ceases to actually function? Or, is there a limit? I don't even want to see the math involved. Hurts my brain just to think about it ... but, I can't help it!
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:18 am

Will we see a converted form of it at some point for other applications...such as computer cooling?
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Timaxe » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:20 am

Well it isn't anything special really. The fan is hidden inside of the 'stick'. The hoop is hollow, so the stick sucks air up from the base of the stick and puts it into the hoop. There are slots in the hoop for the air to escape from. Dyson just took the part where kids can stick their fingers and get hurt and hid it inside the stick - you won't get your fingers into there. Since the fan in the stick is smaller though, it has to run faster to move the air - and speed usually kills efficiency. So in all likely hood it is much louder than a normal fan, and moves less air.

But if you're going to get one...an LED mod would be fun to do. But if you can get a cheap window mount AC unit for the price of this...well there are other things to look at to cool yourself down with :)
Timaxe
Hmmm, should I post some more ?

Postby Aspman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:47 am

Hmm £200 for a desktop fan.

No thankee. I can buy a bloody A/C unit for that.

At least his hoover gave a significant benefit over existing designs at the time but event that has been replicated by similar cheaper products.

I have a bagless hoover, got it for £65 has worked fine for 4 years. Dyson hoover £250. Sorry I'm not going to buy it for 5x the price just because it's got Dyson stamped on it.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Return to Tech News Zone