Windows 7 And Windows Vista: Performance Compared

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

Windows 7 And Windows Vista: Performance Compared

Postby Egaladeist » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Despite lots of innovation with SuperFetch and ReadyBoost, Windows Vista wasn’t popular. In fact, many users avoided upgrading from Windows XP to Vista altogether. Though the operating system was the first version of Windows with 3D animation, and it offered many new features, it didn’t deliver enough compelling reasons to replace XP, which can now be considered really mature (if not over the hill).

Indexing updates could be retrofitted to Windows XP, and Vista turned out to be more hungry for resources than previous Windows versions. Windows 7, however, has been out for a few weeks, and feedback has generally been great. We decided to revisit our first look at testing these two operating systems head-to-head and directly compare Windows Vista and Windows 7, to see if the reported benefits are really noticeable.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/win ... or=RSS-182
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: Windows 7 And Windows Vista: Performance Compared

Postby rapier57 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Yeah, that looks like a decent comparison. I went shopping this AM for the Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack. Microsoft says it is sold out through all its dealer channels. So, evidently, the only option is to put up $114 per system to run the upgrade.

Having to rethink seriously whether I will bother to upgrade. I don't want to spend all that time re-installing all my apps and migrating all my data again. If I stay with XP for now, by the time I'm ready to toss it out, I'll be ready to buy a new Mac for the house.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Aspman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:37 pm

Good find Eg. That was quite interesting.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Egaladeist » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:51 am

Good find Eg. That was quite interesting

Thanks , I get lucky sometimes :mrgreen:
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Return to Tech News Zone