OK, thought this was interesting: Search Engine History

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

OK, thought this was interesting: Search Engine History

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:10 am

Found this site while looking for specialized search engines...thought it was interesting.

Thought I'd share :mrgreen:

Didn't know the first three search engines were named after Archie comics...well the first one was actually an abbreviated form of archives...

The first search engine created was Archie, created in 1990 by Alan Emtage, a student at McGill University in Montreal. The original intent of the name was "archives," but it was shortened to Archie.

As word of mouth about Archie spread, it started to become word of computer and Archie had such popularity that the University of Nevada System Computing Services group developed Veronica.

Soon another user interface name Jughead appeared with the same purpose as Veronica, both of these were used for files sent via Gopher, which was created as an Archie alternative by Mark McCahill at the University of Minnesota in 1991.

http://www.searchenginehistory.com/
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: OK, thought this was interesting: Search Engine History

Postby SirDice » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Damn.. When I first got connected to the Internet I used gopher, archie and Yahoo! I've been on the Internet way too long....

If I remember correctly the one after that was altavista.. But when google started I was instantly hooked.
It was the only search engine that consistently had what I was looking for in the first 3 or 4 hits. No other search engine did that.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Return to Tech News Zone