Hackers claims to have credit numbers of some PSN users

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

Hackers claims to have credit numbers of some PSN users

Postby Egaladeist » Mon May 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Security researchers said Thursday that they had seen discussions on underground Internet forums indicating that the hackers who infiltrated the Sony PlayStation Network last week may have made off with the credit card numbers of Sony customers.

The comments indicated that the hackers had a database that included customer names, addresses, usernames, passwords and as many as 2.2 million credit card numbers, the researchers said.

Kevin Stevens, senior threat researcher at the security firm Trend Micro, said he had seen talk of the database on several hacker forums, including indications that the Sony hackers were hoping to sell the credit card list for upwards of $100,000. Mr. Stevens said one forum member told him the hackers had even offered to sell the data back to Sony but did not receive a response from the company.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/2 ... &seid=auto
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: Hackers claims to have credit numbers of some PSN users

Postby SirDice » Tue May 03, 2011 7:53 am

I've heard anything between 2.2 and 10 million creditcards.

In any case, I always said I'd get a PS3 when I buy a FullHD flatscreen TV.
Too bad Sony but your latest actions made me decide to NEVER buy Sony again.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby Aspman » Tue May 03, 2011 11:08 am

Hmmm now I seem justified in being an old fogey and not gaming any more. Pretty much zero risk of having my personal details stolen from my paint brush. Haven't shot many aliens with it.

Looks like Sony got hacked twice.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... +data+loss

Their kit is overpriced anyway, I'll stick to Samsung or Toshiba thank you.

Plus Sony isn't really giving a shit about customers. If you've bought a PS3 they know you'll be back or you'll have to buy an Xbox and XBL subscription and Sony will probably keep taking money from you for a year.
The law becomes very flexible when you start dealing with multi-billion dollar international companies so I don't expect much to happen to Sony.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Egaladeist » Wed May 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Update...

Sony has issued a clarification saying that while exposed PlayStation Network (PSN) account passwords were not encrypted, they were hashed using a cryptographic function.

The clarification comes after many news outlets reported that passwords were stored in plain text form, a practice known for being insecure.

The confusion arose from Sony's initial reports that PSN passwords were amongst the compromised data and a later statement saying that they weren't encrypted.

"While the passwords that were stored were not 'encrypted,' they were transformed using a cryptographic hash function.

"There is a difference between these two types of security measures which is why we said the passwords had not been encrypted.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sony-Str ... 8218.shtml
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Vorlin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Egaladeist wrote:Update...

Sony has issued a clarification saying that while exposed PlayStation Network (PSN) account passwords were not encrypted, they were hashed using a cryptographic function.

The clarification comes after many news outlets reported that passwords were stored in plain text form, a practice known for being insecure.

The confusion arose from Sony's initial reports that PSN passwords were amongst the compromised data and a later statement saying that they weren't encrypted.

"While the passwords that were stored were not 'encrypted,' they were transformed using a cryptographic hash function.

"There is a difference between these two types of security measures which is why we said the passwords had not been encrypted.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sony-Str ... 8218.shtml

"
The clarification comes after many news outlets reported that passwords were stored in plain text form, a practice known for being insecure."

Are you fucking kidding me??!! STORED IN PLAIN TEXT FORM?! EVEN UNIX'S EARLIEST ENCRYPTION FOR PASSWORDS WERE BETTER THAN THIS!! (not yelling at you Eg :D .. just can't believe Sony would do something this retarded, period)..

I'm with Asp...thought about getting a PS3 (first gaming console for me since I do all my gaming through PC) but Sony lost yet another person (not like it's going to matter much).
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby Panama Red » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:47 pm

My PS2 still works just fine thank you very much... :good:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby keezel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:50 am

Another big breach today:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Latest-da ... et=&ccode=

CitiGroup was hacked. They reported that 200,000 credit cards were accessed, although they didn't get the CCV codes.
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people. Bruce Schneier
keezel
Jedi Bastard

Return to Tech News Zone